Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some input on this 7 week old pup? She is from a litter of 11 so keep in mind she will bulk up a bit more in the next few days. I ask because I have no idea about conformation really.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Who are her sire and dam?

Its not reall fair to critique a pup with such wonky pictures.

The first one she is very roached, I would worry if this is how she naturally stands, but she's running, not standing...and someone just grabbed her tail.

The second one is better, but she's on a slippery surface, so more than likely not standing securely. She looks very hocky, which I am sure is just the photo...she looks to have a cute face.

I had 9 puppies and they were never thin, nor do I think this one is, I just don't think she is substantial. Fat will not equal substance.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well she is cute but definitely a pet. No shame in that, enjoy her :)

Here is a keeper at the same age from my last litter, for comparison (ignore the mud and the Sponge Bob boxer shorts) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
For show, I'd want to see more bone there at this age (since mine typically seem to lose bone if anything). Also a little stronger looking rear, though that can certainly come in some lines. I personally like tight /strong feet and these look longer and flatter to me.

It'd be interesting to see another photo in a week. I think the basic structure looks good and she seems to have a pretty head. Are you looking for performance or show? Anne

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Just because there were 11 in a litter doesn't mean they were deprived of anything. The pups either have it by that age or they don't.

Just for comparison, here is one pup out of my litter that had the bone and the potential for showing vs. one that was cute and sweet and sold as a pet.

Pick female

Pet

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just so you don't think quality is about size, in this puppy I would like to see a great deal more thigh and second thigh, shorter hocks, more rear angulation, an otter tail, smaller ears and just overall 'type'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I wasn't meaning she was thin, she's just very small and the whole litter seemed that way. I'll post a couple more pics in 2 weeks. But thank you all for your input.

PS. I'm not looking for a pure show lab, I am striving for dual purpose dogs, so Moderate would be OK for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 Weeks

I think she looks a lot better, she's put on some weight and has grown into her chest a bit, I know she's not a "Show Lab" but as I stated I'm looking for moderate, I think she will be OK but I still appreciate any input.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Is she a pet or did you buy her to show?

For show potential, like Dana said before, there is quite a bit missing in the rear of the dog. She just has a skinny butt/legs. And I dont' know if that will change as she grows.

But for a pet, it hardly matters.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well, with training, you'll most likely have success in the first two areas. Definately as a pet. However, unless the breeder sold the pup as a high show potential pick, whether she'll do well is going to be a gamble. She's missing key elements as a baby. That may develop as she matures, and there is no reason to try matches and local showss.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I agree, I would adjust your goals and keep her out of the show ring. She is severely lacking in rear angulation, thigh and second thigh and is quite long in the hocks. I'm sure she is a lovely girl and will make you proud in the obedience ring but she does not belong in the show ring IMHO. It would not be fair to her, because she will likely not be what the judges are looking for and will not be able to make you happy there. I think we owe it to our dogs to be realistic about what they accomplish and not put them in situations where they will be picked apart by people.

No shame in that, I've produced many a nice pet who doesn't belong in the ring but kicks A$$ in the field or the obedience ring. They all have different callings and that's what makes the world go round.

BTW, despite the dialogue in the other thread, this has nothing to do with her size. I don't mind moderate but the structure must be there and it just isn't with this girl.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And that's fine, I'll just have to adjust my aim a bit with her. I will probably concentrate on tracking and field trials instead of showing her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm a novice and I am trying to understand what the breed standard is. I know the standard states that they should have a level topline from the withers to the croup. The green puppy appears to have a sloping topline in the photo. Is this ok for puppies, and how do you know that this slope will level out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts