1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last episode Baby had the following symptoms:
Two back to back UTIs separated by courses of antibiotics,
Hair loss between the eyes,
eye discharge,
frequent panting,
dilute but clean urine (no infection)
a pretty unremarkable extensive blood panel with a just out of normal low thyroid.
Five pound loss in weight in five weeks
Vet had no clue what was happening to Baby and suggested an ultra Sound which was scheduled for today. Baby has had several puddles in the house in the past week.

Today's episode
Baby was not happy to skip breakfast, and when momma headed out the door without me, Baby had seconds thoughts on the offer of the car ride. This hunch was confirmed when momma tried to leave the vet's office without her. She did not have a really good day. Or maybe she did.

Her weight is stable at 58 pounds. Vet says she looks good, but could stand toose a couple more pounds. The ultra sound was unremarkable other than not being able to see over half the right kidney. Everything he saw looked normal. Because of the puddles, he decided to run another urinanalysis.

Another UTI. A swatchbook of available bacteria. Also found crystals. not sure if it was in the urine or the ultra sound. Sending a culture out for further study. This time the antibiotic is Bactrim (sp?). Two weeks supply=$100. Another UTI older and deeper in debt. The past two infections were treated with the same antibiotic for two weeks. A week after the end of the treatment her urine was clean, but within two-three weeks, the infection was back. This time a different antibiotic and will go probably a month to six weeks and possibly longer.

Same symptoms. So we start the meds tonight, find out next week how many different bad things are living in her UT, and what the next step is beyond that.

LD

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bob. VT is a possibility.

The infection goes away with antibiotics but reoccurs within two-three weeks. What would cause back to back UTIs? Is her immune system compromised? What would cause the immune system to fail?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Maybe the previous antibiotic courses weren't strong or long enough so just enough bugs were left to recolonize (and maybe even be increasingly resistant to the drugs)? I don't really know, but I hope this round does the trick and she's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor Baby. Sorry, Andy. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Andy, I'm sorry that Baby Girl is having so many problems. Prayers and good thoughts that this round of antibiotics does the trick and kicks the infection once and for all.

When they know what bugs are there, will they do a sensitivity test? That's what finally got rid of my sinus infection/tonsillitis/bronchitis. The first two rounds of antibiotics didn't work on the particular bug I had, the sensitivity test found the one antibiotic that would work.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First two UTIs were treated for two weeks each with cefeloxin (sp?). The second UTI sample went out for sensitivity and came back as E-colli. After each course a urine sample was taken directly from the bladder using a needle. Each test was completely clean-no infection. Urine was noted as being dilute-1010.

This time Bactrim (sp?) is the drug of choice and will go longer than two weeks, maybe as long as ten weeks. She got her first dose last night. A culture has gone out for further study and testing.

In the meantime, I have a panting dog with hair loss between the eyes with a UTI.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Andy, I really LIKE the diagnosis and treatment I get at KSU's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl -- BUT it's not always a slam dunk.

What you're going through with Baby reminds me of a different problem I had with Puff.

She kept getting a rash on her belly.

I took her to KSU's CVM TH and we saw an otherwise excellent vet -- she had her diplomate in veterinary internal medicine and had previously been very helpful.

3X she prescribed cephalexin -- which cleared up the rash -- BUT it quickly returned.

After the 3rd time, I asked to see KSU's dermatologist.

SHE spent some time inquiring about Puff's activities and thought that our early morning walks when the dew was on the tall grasses was probably instrumental in transferring pollen to Puff's belly and it was that causing the recurring irritation.

She Rx'ed using a medicated shampoo for the belly (AFTER another course of the cephalexin) and thoroughly drying her belly after each wetting

THAT worked wonderfully and I adapted some other things to do -- take Puff swimming after our morning walk to rinse off the pollen, and that also helped.

I describe this because -- while it's obviously NOT the same thing -- some key factor is obviously missing and needs to be brought into the equation.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sorry to hear about Baby Girl and those nasty UTIs. I hate 'em. I hope they figure out what antibiotic will finally do the trick. Sorry she doesn't feel well and your wallet is lighter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts