Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EVERY SINGLE MORNING at 5:45 am ON THE DOT, Apollo wakes up and starts whining at Sam and I from the blocked-off hallway where he sleeps each night. EVERY MORNING. Even if we take him out to pee RIGHT before we go to bed at night (around 10pm) he STILL wakes us up at this un-godly hour.

Sam works 12-14 hour days and he's the one that walks Apollo each morning at the buttcrack of dawn (i have agreeded to take over that responsibility, though) Sam needs all the sleep he can get, but with Apollo waking him up so early, its starting to 1. make him cranky and 2. make us argue (cuz he's cranky). Anyone have any advice on how to get Apollo to sleep in until atleast 6:15-6:30 am? Its only 30-45 minutes longer. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. He does SO WELL in his hallway at night, never wakes us up, but at 5:45 am on the dot he starts whining and won't stop. PLease please please help. Advice please. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you tried letting him in to to sleep closer to you for the extra time? He might want you to feed him or take him out but he might just want to be closer to you. Lincoln does this sometimes but he usually will sleep a couple more hours if we let him in bed with us. Also, I Know it sucks (as I live on the 3rd floor) but if we take him to pee hell go back to sleep right away and allow that precious extra sleep time.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the hallway is about 5 feet away from our bed, so he is very close by. Sam doesn't allow Apollo in the bed with us at night or in the morning (although I let him sleep with me when I nap in the afternoon) I can understand why though, we already have three cats hogging the whole freakin bed lol. The five of us barely fit, there wouldn't be any room for apollo lol.

I was thinking about just getting up immediately when I hear the whining, taking him out, letting him pee, and then just letting him roam around the house till we wake up (he can FINALLY be trusted unsupervised for the most part). What do I do if he KEEPS whining after that though? Sometimes Apollo keeps waking me up on purpose, its like he thinks I'm dead or something. He'll FREAK OUT and won't stop nudging me till I wake up. I must admit, I am NOT a morning person, I'm actually a big b***h in the mornings, so if I can get him to wake up just 30-45 min later, that would be the ideal situation.

Tommorow morning when he starts whining, I'll get out of bed open the front door and let him pee and bring him back in the house. We'll see how it goes.

G

·
LOL, you still get 20 more minutes of sleep than I do. Merlot starts barking loudly at 5:25 A.M EVERY morning, no matter what time I put him in his crate at night! He has a built in alarm clock. If I could just teach him to have the coffee ready, I wouldn't mind it so much ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is imperative that you do not tell my wife this....

The boys sleep in our bedroom and are allowed to put their front paws on the bed, but they are not allowed to sleep on it. Rommel will wake me up at the buttcrack of dawn and be a general irritant until I wake up. On most days, my wife leaves well before I do. If I want the extra sleep...up comes the puppy. He'll just curl up in a ball next to me and crash out for as long as it takes. I've had weekends where he'll let me sleep until 10:30/11 without interruption.

I think if you just let him sleep closer to you (not necessarily in bed with you), that really could take care of it.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't know how old Apollo is, but I will say eventually puppies sleep longer and can hold it longer. You will gain the extra 45 minutes sleep.

I'm up at 4:30 am and my girls will sleep until 6:00 am. Sometimes they wake when I do but mostly they stay sleeping.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We don't hear much from Zakk until he hears the alarm clock (which we usually hit snooze ;D). Most of the time a simple 'good morning Zakk' will calm him back down. He is not loud when he wimpers and does not do it much.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Brigetta sleeps in the bedroom, and she gets up anywhere from 5-6 am, she turned 1 last month. I usually get up at around 6, so I've taught her "settle". When she starts whining or licking my face, I give her the settle command and she'll either go lay down or start chewing on one of her nylabones. As soon as it's 6am (time to eat) she is right in my face!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Well, not to minimize your struggle ;D but I think it's awesome that he's letting you know he has to pee instead of just 'takin' care of business' somewhere and letting you play 'find the pee spot' later. He'll get better with it, Mickey used to wake us up at 3 and 6, like clockwork. Now he waits until 6:30 with no midnight pee trek at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So funny, aren't the great... Harley is a 4 AM eater, yep 4 am on the dot every day. It's not so bad though it only takes about 10 mins. for breakfast and his business, then we have about 3 hours of snuggle time... This is the only time during the day that he is sooooo affectionate.

I would not trade this routine for anything as he is very independent the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's the dealio....this morning wasn't too bad. We took Apollo out to pee at 10pm last night and then went to bed. He started whining at 5:45am on the dot. Well in a very stern voice I said "Apollo..quiet time!" everytime he started to whine I said that. He eventually stopped. I took him out to pee at 6:30am. I just opened the front door and let him pee in the yard. Then I gave him breakfast and I tried to go back to bed. Well I was already awake so I couldn't go back to sleep so I just stayed up. BUT he DID be quiet when I told him too. I think a few more days of taking him out late at night to pee and then letting him out 45 min later then usual in the morning to pee and his body will adjust to this new schedule. Thanks guys for your suggestions. i'm sure we'll get over this hurdle soon. Its really NOTHING compared to all the other stuff we had to go through with Apollo.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Dakota does this too..anywhere from 6 a.m on..he whines..one of us gets up..he pees..and we try to get him back to the bathroom to sleep some more..when he comes in from peeing he heads right for the kitchen. This morning..I desperately needed to sleep more..I've really been draggin butt for two weeks with his waking us up so early..we don't go to bed till 12 sometimes..that this morning..I told hubby put him back in the bathroom and let's see what happens..well..he whined..he barked..he barked some more..then got quiet for maybe a half hour..finally around 7:40 I got up..and the day started..I NEED sleep..tonight we're going to bed at 10..LOL
Jackie

·
Registered
127 Posts
During the work week -- pees and poops followed by breakfast at 4:45am.

Weekends - the livestock are awake and rumbling by 6:30. Can't remember the last time we slept later than 7 AM.

Once the girls are fed, they snooze for a few hours...and then the games begin!

The schedule is very ritualistic, but we've all adapted and it's just part of our lives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts