Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grace is almost old enough for her OFA's. I made the appointment...three weeks from today on her 2nd birthday.

In a few weeks I'll need some good thoughts for good results!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: 3 weeks until OFA

Good luck with Grace's OFA's!!! Oh, and a early happy birthday! ;)

I'm sure she will pass with flying colors.... ;D

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

Sending good, no make that Excellent, vibes your way 8)
It's stressful, huh??? I'm safe for 18 more months.... -Anne

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks...I found out that the vet is pretty good at this (he's the one all the lab people see in this part of Colorado), so he'll give me a judgement which usually is pretty darn near on the mark...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

I think many vets (and myself included) have a good idea on hips but I always worry about the mysterious elbows. They are tough to read... even for the best. I've had several friends think all was well and they came back a Grade I. I worry til the envelope comes on that one! -Anne

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

Good luck, Jen! I'm certainly sending all of the best OFA vibes your way! :)

Heck, even when you do prelims like I did, you just never know about the finals (especially with elbows in case of injury or whatnot), so I completely understand the stress in having to wait to have them done and then the stress while awaiting final results! (((Hugs))) and prayers that all is A-OK!!!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

Good luck!! I was just in your shoes ;) Does your vet send in the actual radiographs or email them digitals? MSU still mails them and they sit on them for a while...they didn't even get to OFA for almost two weeks :mad:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

Sending good thoughts.

I'm still waiting for Essy results. It's already been over 2 weeks. ~pace, pace, pace~

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Our Vet does digital! So I am hoping on quick result! LOL

And she doesn't appear to be going into heat yet either, so all might be in my favor!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

My OFA vet still mails from out here (WA state) too. Mata's took 3 wks to come thru in Feb (bday was Feb 8, posting was Mar 2). Mailing generally takes 5 days from WA to MO from past experience. But they are not posting on the website anymore until a few days after your results are in the mail. Mata's results were posted on a Fri night, and envelope came the next day! So they are dragging their feet to post!

Btw, Rosa (my 8 yo) came back Excellent despite coming into heat 2 wks later, so here's to good vibes again... -Anne

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, as luck will have it, Grace came into heat this morning. No OFA's until June now, and no breeding until October. I didn't really want winter puppies, so I might hold off for another year. What a bummer.

She also had a Rally trial coming up and will have to scratch now...we missed the deadline for cancelling by like 5 days!

W

·
0 Posts
Well, as luck will have it, Grace came into heat this morning. No OFA's until June now, and no breeding until October. I didn't really want winter puppies, so I might hold off for another year. What a bummer.
Why not? Of course waiting until she is older is no problem - my younger girl turns 3 years old next week and has never been bred but I have never heard of a heat actually having an impact on results. I know people who have taken films immediately before, during, and after a cycle and the hips are perfect. The hormone relaxin won't cause degenerative joint disease so if that's present it's not going anywhere, however if there is some increased laxity then I would simply redo the films in a few months but like I said I know plenty who have had them done and the results are the same.

Did you do prelims? If you did them at 12 + months then you could breed her and do the x-rays once the pups are weaned. I have a friend with a ***** who had prelims done at 16 months and she came into season at 25 months and she hadn't yet don't finals, however she decided to breed her due to timing, schedule, etc with her and other breedings and she has no worries with the late prelims.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't do prelims. Unfortunately, we are kind of in a tight spot financially, and I have money budgeted for certain things, shows, breeding emergencies, general health etc. but we opted not to do prelims or can do multiple xrays just to see. We'll just wait. It's really no rush. Just a bummer for our plans.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm personally glad you are deciding to wait on the breeding (I didn't realize that a breeding was pending). I prefer NOT breeding my girls til closer to 3 yo, if not a bit more, when they are more mature, both physically and mentally. Mine also tend to grow a bit after 2.5 yrs though too (this I learned after doing my first breeding at ~2.5 yrs old...). Furthermore, so many health (eyes, esp) issues can arise in that 2nd year too. Fuji was bred at almost 3 and that was earlier than normal for me but her cycles were 9.5 mos apart and w/ my heavy work being from Aug-Oct, it was a factor... she'd not have been breedable until she was 4.5 yrs old if she stayed even close to that schedule. Jazz is 3.5 and looks like Jobba the Hut right now, ready to pop later in the week.... IOW, if you have good health, fertility will follow! Their mom was not bred the first time til 4.5, then again at 6yo... had 8 in both litters. And grandma was nearly 4 when she had her litter of 8. -Anne

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Bummer, Jen. :( I keep hearing stories about people getting OFA excellents on their girls when they're in season, but I think you're wise to wait, especially based on the OFA's recommendation. Fingers crossed still that she passes everything with flying colors...even if we have to wait a bit longer to find out! (((Hugs))) We'll certainly miss seeing you at LRCSC again this year.

·
Registered
488 Posts
WigWag said:
Did you do prelims? If you did them at 12 + months then you could breed her and do the x-rays once the pups are weaned. I have a friend with a ***** who had prelims done at 16 months and she came into season at 25 months and she hadn't yet don't finals, however she decided to breed her due to timing, schedule, etc with her and other breedings and she has no worries with the late prelims.
I'm not a breeder, but isn't that risky? Didn't rottnlabs' "Essy" pass her prelims and then her final OFA showed elbow problems?

I've just heard so many people discussing how pre-lims just aren't enough for them (personally) so I was wondering.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Prelims are OK if you know your lines and, in my opinion, are a more seasoned breeder. I too find them somewhat risky. I have a friend who was burned on taking a show pup from a sire that was only prelimed, and now there are problems with elbows.

Being that this would be my first litter, I am stacking the deck by making sure I have everything done BEFORE we consider the breeding...

Anne, I hear you on the maturity part. Grace can certainly benefit from waiting.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
CYNLABS said:
Prelims are OK if you know your lines and, in my opinion, are a more seasoned breeder. I too find them somewhat risky. I have a friend who was burned on taking a show pup from a sire that was only prelimed, and now there are problems with elbows.

Being that this would be my first litter, I am stacking the deck by making sure I have everything done BEFORE we consider the breeding...

Anne, I hear you on the maturity part. Grace can certainly benefit from waiting.
You know, elbows are a real mystery thing and everything I've read on elbows would tell me that prelims only catch the big stuff (like OCD)-- which your dog will likely be symptomatic anyhow. I know of MANY folks who were burned on prelims--- actually of both hips and elbows, but esp of elbows-- from lines of good, deep clearances. Unfortunately we can't predict (w/ much certainty) what failures are due to injuries and what are due to genetics. Too many genes involved in dysplasias to do that. I just cringe seeing some of the young boys being used many times over at stud prior to 2, and then find out later that he didn't clear something. To me, it's our responsibility to dot the i's and cross the t's in advance. That said, if someone really wanted to do a test breeding w/ their own boy early, I'd not say a whole lot as long as they are honest to the puppy buyers that parent(s) don't have their finals. Gosh, there are just too many other things to worry about when breeding!!!! Take it from me..... Jazz is at day 58 today, due this weekend. Many many things going thru my head right now but at least I don't have the "what if's" re: clearances on my mind. I think if you as a breeder do all in your power to choose the best male for your girl, have all the genetic bases covered, folks are alot more inclined to forgive you if there is a problem down the road. And that problem isn't TYPICALLY as bad either, when it comes to the dysplasias. -Anne

1 - 20 of 28 Posts