Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Harley had his second vet visit today. The vet pronounced him free of worms, gave him his 2nd Parvo & Corona Vaccination. I'm not sure what the second one is, but he gets it every visit. We're due back in two weeks for another, plus rabies.

I don't think these guys are too good at math though. They have miscalculated our bill twice and say that Harley is only 12 weeks old. He was born on Mar 28, which according to my count makes him 14 weeks on Saturday...

Kevin

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
As long as they get the mdcicine right! That reminds me, I need to get my vet to change Barney's birthdate. It is January 24. They have it as 17 January!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
How did they prounounce him free of worms? Did you take in a sample?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did. Got it fresh in front of the vet's office and stuck it in my little baggie I carry. :)

Kevin

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
LOL

My vet doesn't ask for a sample. We have two more worm doses left (ages 16 and 18wks).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You are getting shots every two weeks, why? I've never heard of any vet recommending such a thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're combined into one...

If it's wrong then don't worry. I think I've finally found a vet that's right for us. If you remember, I was having doubts about this one that were confirmed by this forum.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
They're combined into one...
Are you sure the two week one isn't the Lyme vaccine? Usually the "puppy shots" (parvo, etc) are a series of 3 given every 4 weeks (1 cshot every 4 weeks). The intial Lyme vac, however is 2 shots given two weeks apart. If you have a receipt with the name or abbreviation of the shots given we can help you figure it out if you want. Anyway- I'm glad little Harley is doing good.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You're going back in two weeks for parvo+corona again, plus rabies?

The puppy vaccination series should be spaced 4 weeks apart, if I remember correctly, and Oliver didn't have his rabies vacc until he was 6 months old (check with your municipality though, some require it earlier?).

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yes, puppy vaccinations should be 4 weeks apart. And PLEASE do not let your vet give the last round of shots WITH the rabies shot. Wait at least 2 weeks after the last vaccination before you get the rabies shot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so here's the schedule.

I thought DHLP-P and Parvo were the same thing, but they have it listed at the last visit... :confused:

Kevin

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
So he will get six sets of shots including the one the breeder gave him, plus a 7th Parvo???? 3 is adequate. And this is NUTTY!

We did the litter at 7 weeks, shots at 12, 16 and rabies at 20. You are definitely over vaccinating and stuffing the pockets of the vet.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
He's not from a breeder. He's from a box on the side of the road...
Even if he didn't get vacs from the person you got him from, the vets schedule seems excessive to me. Mick came from a rescue in 1991 at
6 1/2 weeks and no vacs. He still got only 3 combo vacs over the course of 3 months, as well as his rabies. Caleb came from a breeder. His vacs were on the same schedule. The only difference was that the breeder gave him the first one. My vet followed up with the rest at 4 week intervals. Hope you understand, nobody is putting you down. We're just looking out for the best interest of Harley and you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I do understand that, thanks for saying it though... :)

The cost for everything is $250.00, except for the nueter, which is reduced to $25.00.

Kevin

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar shot schedule with Caspian - quantity wise. He had two shots coming to be at 12 weeks - but not sure when/what type. (Family had an unwanted litter - not sure exactly what happened - but got my awesome pup anyways) Doc said he doesn't trust the vacs given - specially in this circumstance, so he wanted to do more than just the typical 3rd shot.

So at 13 weeks got DHLP-P/Corona, 16 weeks got the same, plus rabies, and microchipped. 5.5 months got neutered and am taking him back in 2 weeks for his last puppy shots. The doc did want me to get another shot at 20 weeks, but some miscommunication between the Doc and Techs we skipped that one ;)

Good price on everything though! I think I've already put more into him than the $250. (But our vet is amazing - so the little extra I pay I feel justifies my peace of mind)

Edited to clarify

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Is this vet on the "older" side. That was a pretty common schedule 20 years ago although it seems there's an extra one in there. That's a great price for everything though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts