Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a position available at the Tulsa Community College branch just blocks away from Wooserie House. It's 20 hours a week and I think I can manage it on top of my regular 40 hours at the medical college. The pay would amply reduce my financial worries about meeting my monthly financial obligations. I wouldn't have to "rob" from my savings any more just to make ends meet.

I've been invited to interview, and I keep thinking about whether or not I can keep the schedule without exhausting myself or just completely missing my own down time and time with the dogs. It's M-W 3:30-7:30, Th 3:30-7:30, Sat 8-12.

I desperately need the additional income but I don't want to become a complete zombie, either.

Haha! At this moment I'm thinking, "You come home and do retrieves with the guys for 20 minutes every day and then watch TV with DH or visit JL. Might as well be sitting somewhere else being productive and earning $$ you need, girl!"

What a tussle this is for me. I guess I'm just being selfish. I like my evenings at home with Tud and the dogs, but Lord do I need that income!

Thoughts? Anybody else in this boat?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Mememememe!
I already work 2 jobs, and could take on a 3rd if I really wanted to. It would help with my income so much, but I just don't have the time for 3!

I don't know what to suggest, Nance. What a difficult decision!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you, Nance. Would you get off early from your job that you have now in order to go to the other one? As long as Tud could take care of EVERYTHING at home for you and you basically just walk in, eat dinner, take a nice bath and rest. With summer coming up, you'll have more daylight hours, so it might be a good time to see if it's possible rather than winter when you would want to be home at 5 or 6. If you don't feel you can do it, they don't....things will work out one way or another; how we sometimes don't know, but they usually do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sometimes I think of getting a 2nd job as well. I want to be out of debt. I don't think I ever will be. I live paycheck to paycheck, like most everybody. But the main thing that always stops me is... I've become very stingy with my free time.

If you think you can swing it, do it. But if you find yourself simply overwhelmed, give it up.

It was much easier to do this kind of thing when we were in our 20's. The older you get, the harder it is to do so much... time just slips away so fast.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think I would give it a try you will know if you can handle it I did it once a few years ago for about 5 months it really did help :)

·
0 Posts
Tough decision - that only you and Tud can make. It's got to be a balance between income and "life." If you have no "life" all the money in the world doesn't help. But, if you think you can handle the extra time and still have time for all the other things that ake you happy, then go for it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much, all, Mark in particular.
I will check into this and let you guys know what I decide.
Ponder... ponder... ponder...

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I'm sitting where you are, Nance. I posted a month or so ago about taking on a second job so i could kind of take my life to the next level.. but what would the point be if i'm working all the time and didn't enjoy it?

I don't know.. i haven't taken the plunge yet.. but i'm still considering it.

J

·
0 Posts
Look at it this way; If you take the job either you will find out that it works out great for you and the extra income makes things easier or you will find out that the extra income just isnt worth the free time you are losing, so you give them your two week notice and are back to where you started. It wouldnt hurt to try it since you'll still have your full time job to fall back on if it doesnt work out.
Good Luck Nance.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Try the job for a couple of months if it doesn't work out quit. I worked from 7am to 9pm M-F for 3 years. It was rough but it was worth it to get out of debt. Though I was much younger and stupider. I also liked both my jobs and neither was to stressful. I have made it a point to stay out of debt though.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Hi Nance,

The hours for this 2nd job aren't bad, and Saturday from 8-12 shouldn't be a problem, but it is in addition to your regular job and it can take its toll. How much you enjoy what you will be doing and whether or not there will be stress will also effect how you cope. Is there any way you can split these hours with another employee?? Have you considered any other options to supplement your income like tutoring/editing/or getting some take home work?

What Mark posted was right on the money!

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
How does Tudor feel? Is he supportive of the 2nd job? If he isn't, is the money worth the stress on your marriage. How much extra money will this 2nd job cost you? You know that once you take it, it will be hard to quit it. It's easy to say, "if it doesn't work out, just quit." In real life it's not that easy. We all develop a sense of responsiblity to the other job. Have you looked at every other way to cut costs? I had a choice to make with the government closed the Charleston Naval Base and Walt lost his job. We only had his retirement to live on. It was either me get a job, or learn to live off his retirement. I learned to live off his retirement. It wasn't easy at first, but we got by. Only you can make this decision, you and Tudor. Have you asked God? When I was in this position, I turned it over to God. I told him he had to pull us through because I couldn't. I left it in his hands. We didn't always have everything that we wanted, but we always had everything we needed. God bless.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't know Nance - it's tough. I did the second job thing for a while. My 1st job was 7-5 monday thru Friday and stressful and exhausting - my 2nd job was Thursday nights 6-10pm and then Saturday 8am to 6:30 and Sunday noon to 6pm. I LOVED my 2nd job even though I was on my feet most of the time.

David hated it. I was so tired when I was home that I couldn't do much else.
I stoped working on Sunday but kep the other hours and then spent most of Sunday napping to recover.
Sure we had some money to help pay off the bills but it just didn't seem worth it to us since I was tired, cranky and nearly comatose.

Honestly - I really could use that extra money again right now - but I just can't put myself and David thru it again.

That was my experience - hopefully yours will be better than mine.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've worked 2 jobs since I graduated college in 1985. It's doable -- and the extra income is nice (even though my 2nd salary moved from 'extra income' to 'absolutely necessary' 13 years ago when SU left the workforce to become a SAHM). What I've found is that you've got to really make use of the little downtime you've got left. We find that means a good balance between chores and fun stuff with the dweckettes. Like on Saturdays -- we've got a policy that all chores must be completed before Noon. After the 12 o'clock whistle blows, all sheet-changing, laundry, gardening, cleaning, vacuuming, etc STOPS and we go do something to blow off some steam.

It's rather daunting to think that I work seven days a week. But with a watchful eye on the off-hours, it's not so bad.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Depending on your tax situation, this could be a moot point.

If I were to take a 2nd job I would be close to losing money. The extra income would put me into a higher tax bracket so the tax man would take his portion(BIG Portion). The extra money it takes to commute and the littlel things, like a bottle of pop, bag of chips or the extra money that I would spend at restuarants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts