Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would bringing an intact 2 y.o. male into the house likely cause trouble with Sawyer & Sunny? My gut says yes. Opinions please? (Of course we would have it done first thing if he were to come live with us.)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
It totally depends on the dog(s)...with some, it wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelash, but with some others, they may really be on the defense with an intact male infringing on their territory.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bacatherine said:
I agree could you have him neutered before bringing him home.

But doesn't it take time for the hormones to level out or something? I can't explain what I'm trying to ask.....

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Take them to a neutral place and meet beforehand. I'm thinking it's probably not a "best bed" dog...so you don't know about the temperament. And Sawyer does like to be "da man"! ;) LOL.....I'd test the waters before making a commitment. And yes, it does take time after a neuter for the hormones to do their thing.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
It depends on the dogs for sure. Are they naturally possessive of you? Do they guard you or resources?
I agree with the above in having them meet at a park first. Sometimes a third can be added with no problems whatsoever. Depends on the personalities your dogs have. Why does your gut say no? because he is intact?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sawyer & Sunny have finally settled the "who's the boss" battle....Sunny won, by the way. ;)

So yes, my gut tells me no because this one is intact.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My last foster (black male, about 6 to 7 yo) HATED intact males. Any time he was around an intact male, he would growl, bark and get very aggressive.

Maybe try it out first in a neutral location and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts