Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so we got our 1st lab (Rhage) about 4 months ago and we are getting another one ("Z"hadist) in about 2 1/2 more weeks (YEAH)
they are both males... i'm sure plenty of you guys on here have had 2 male dogs in the house... how does this go?
did u exhibit any problems as far as the alpha stuff goes... we were told that they need to understand that neither one of them are the alpha's but that we are..

what did u do to correct any problems:eek:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have two males (one neutered), and a female (spayed). The only time one of them tries to be "the boss" is when its playtime...sometimes the Boston, who is the female, will let us know if she thinks we are too rough with the boys or if the boys are out of hand...She stands on her hind feet and smacks em...but that's the only time we ever see anything...our dogs are pretty mellow though, and the so-called alpha of the pack is our senior handicapped dog... go figure.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I noticed that too, be careful what you name them, sometimes they just live up to their names.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
The names are rather like one would expect of a young man with Pit Bulls or Rottis. Intimidating names to go with intimidating dogs.

With Labs those names are rather incongruous.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The names are rather like one would expect of a young man with Pit Bulls or Rottis. Intimidating names to go with intimidating dogs.

With Labs those names are rather incongruous.
True dat.

First of all - neuter your boys. Prevents many problems, physically and hormonally.

We have two males, the second one (older by a year) came into the house after we'd had the black one for five months. The yellow had not yet been neutered when we got him, but we never had a problem from day one. He was neutered about six months after we got him and that did help calm him down a bit.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I noticed that too, be careful what you name them, sometimes they just live up to their names.
I was thinking the same thing!

I have two males. I can only share my experience...your mileage may vary.

Personally, I woudn't have two of the same gender if I had it to do all over. It may be because mine are very close in age, but I have had to deal with a LOT of jockeying for position. We have even had a few knock-down drag-out fights, which were not fun at all and potentially pretty dangerous (the last time it happened, Angus sustained a very deep scratch just inches from his eye).

They are extremely jealous of each other, and compete for my attention.

What seems to be keeping the peace (knock on wood!) is me finally getting straightened out (by a behaviorist) on which one of them was alpha between the two, and always respecting and acknowledging his status. He gets training first, he gets fed first, goes out doors first, etc. Since we have instituted this program, we haven't had any more fights. But the jealousy and competitiveness is still there.

I specifically chose Simon (our second) because he seemed to have a very meek personality at the shelter. And indeed, he is extremely biddable and meek with humans. Not so much with other dogs. And that's the kind of thing that's almost impossible to determine in one meeting, or even a few days. It takes weeks of settling in to see their true personality.

Again, this is just my experience. I know many people have two of the same gender and it works fine. It really does depend a lot on the personality of the dogs.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Have two males...(most times 3 males) in the house, and one wasn't neutered until 23 months. Never had a problem with either one of them. Rider is and always has been "king" of the house...though I wouldn't consider it dominance. Neutering and training should not make issues in the house.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well I didn't see "Rage" and "Sadist", I read Rozsh and the other I read as ZAHdeest.

My 2 were fine from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We have two intact males (until very recently both were in the conformation ring...only one continues) a year old and a three year old. We've had two loud but not very physical scuffles that a yell from us stopped. Both were over dropped food.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I have a 6-year-old neutered male, and a nearly 1-year-old intact male. I'm the alpha at my house and have never had a problem with either of them jockeying for position.

Both of my boys are extremely well bred and have impeccable temperaments. While Henry has a more submissive personality and Oliver is more "take charge", they have never once fought with each other.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I have two intact males in the house. I've not had a problem even with bitches in season.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Three neutered boys here. No problems that can be attributed to sex, though. The second is the most boisterous. He also has a few food aggression issues that we are working on. But other than food--they get along great. Actually neither of the other two would challenge him about food--they are pretty submissive--he is just a piggy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts