Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my very 1st lab dog, I have owned different dogs before but never a lab. Axle, my chocolate lab, is about 18 months old and just now receiving some kind of training. We got him on friday 20th and believe the people we got him from did little if any training with him. So we are having to start from ground zero. He varies on how he responds to what we ask him to do. He now knows how to sit, lay down and shake, when in the mood. We have been working with him on walking and heeling but think we are trying to do to much at once so we are going back to sit and lay then proceed from there. Any tips or advice to aid in training would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Congrats on your knew addition. Have you thought about working with a trainer? Would love to see some pics of him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I contacted petsmart and they want $108 for 8 weeks, I think. Right now we are unable to afford that so we are working with him on our own. Not trying to push him or us to much. He seems eager to learn but is still a little hyper and has a short attention span.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I agree with Bob on both the book AND the NILF.

Also- remember to train in different environents and with different stimulation levels. Start at home where it is quiet and as they fully understand and listen in that environment, try it in the yard, or on a walk. Do it randomly so they never know. But don't jump too quickly to very high simulation level, and go back to treats/rewards as you add distraction (so even if you no longer treat for the behavior at home, you will treat if you start asking for the same behario outside)

Dogs do not generalize, so just because they learn to listen at home, doesn't mean they will do the same off leash, or outside, or with a new person in hte house even.

best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. We got a book at Rural King that is just about Labrador Retrievers and have found some very helpful info in there but I am always open to advice and helpful hints. I have been working with him mainly at home on a leash and while he still needs some work he is getting better and better. Just a couple of hours ago I was walking him around the yard and without asking him he heeled and walked right beside me. It made me very proud of him and I of course praised him for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We tried the training at Petsmart, but found the environment way too distracting. The trainer also spoke very fast and loud, trying to be heard over the store noise.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with Bob on both the book AND the NILF.

Also- remember to train in different environents and with different stimulation levels. Start at home where it is quiet and as they fully understand and listen in that environment, try it in the yard, or on a walk. Do it randomly so they never know. But don't jump too quickly to very high simulation level, and go back to treats/rewards as you add distraction (so even if you no longer treat for the behavior at home, you will treat if you start asking for the same behario outside)

Dogs do not generalize, so just because they learn to listen at home, doesn't mean they will do the same off leash, or outside, or with a new person in hte house even.
I STRONGLY agree with Tanya's point that dogs do not generalize and the steps one takes to overcome this. I often point this out. This time I didn't.

THANK you, Tanya, for the pick-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts