Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its almost time for the 17 yrs Cicadas to come. I dread just the thought of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

Remember to cover your plants up or bring them in, wear hates and long sleeves or something, don't have your car windows open, etc. Or they will invade!

I can just imagine when the little pest' will die, all of them all over *shudders*.

They aren't harmful to dogs, so if they manage to crunch on a few of them that is fine.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Oh god! YUCK! When I was little I picked one of those nasty things up. I was at the pool and thought it was a toy rubber grasshopper, boy was I horrified when I found out it wasn't! I HATE those friggen things!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I remember them being more of an August phenomenon than a May one. I remember their drone mixing with the drone of our window fans on steamy summer afternoons, when Mom and I would retreat to the cool of our living room and lie on the floor and play Scrabble.

I also remember Dad black-topping the driveway every August (he always felt it 'set' better if done in the heat), and these suckers would get stuck in the goo and whinnnnnnnnnnnnne for hours on end.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wait, where? I could have sworn they were just here a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, they are coming this year. There are different species of Cicadas, those are the ones you see most common. These ones are different and come every 13-17 years and hatch where the other ones have died. So in peoples yards, etc.

J

·
0 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Wait, where? I could have sworn they were just here a couple of years ago.
They were here in 2004 because I got Married may of 2004 and it was cicada city outside.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!
:-X

That's worse than a June bug! WAY worse! Holy crap. If I ever came across one of those I think I'd pass out. Spiders are cool, snakes? fine, but June bugs, ooooooohhhhhhh no...full on panic mode. Those Cicada things are flippin' hideous! :eek:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I never minded the sound of Cicadas. To me, they always bring to mind hot summer afternoons when the world is just too worn out to even turn on its axis, so time seems to stand still. And you've got chlorine-smelling skin and red buggy eyes from too much time in the pool. And your lips pucker in anticipation of lemonade, and your ears strain to the welcome bell of the ice cream guy.... Happy times.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
ewwwwwwwwww no no no no no no noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there were just cicadas here 3 years ago!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK, I could search but I don't wanna. :p Will they inhabitat the entire US? The world? :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts