Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy nittany used to sleep through the night and now outta no where is waking up every 2 hours barking to go out. I don't know whats causing this at all. We tried to ignore the barking because we know she can sleep through the night and she will just keep going. Are we doing something wrong? Im so confused as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any advice about what we can do???

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
How long has this been happening? Have there been any changes in Nittany's schedule- less exercise, etc? Has she been needing to go to the bathroom more during the day?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there has been a change. We have a dog walker come in the afternoon while my husband and I are at work. I believe she does go everytime she is out. My husband takes care of her during the night because I take care of my baby.

G

·
Since Jacey (13 weeks old) has been able to sleep through the night since the 3rd night I have had her I make her go back to sleep unless I know shes sick (like this morning). If you give in every time she will want out. I would make sure water is up by 6pm and have a potty right before bed and unless shes ill I would make her sleep through the night..

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think its just a stage a puppy goes through. When Maggie was about that age she started crying and barking during the night. I knew she didn't need out bc she had been sleeping all night before that. The first night she did we took her out but nothing unusual on her potty breaks. Right now Finn (16 wks old) is doing this. He even takes his bone and drops it onto his cage floor (which makes alot of noise). As long as you know there is nothing wrong I would ignore it.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
She may be wanting to come up with you. Can you move her crate? Is she still having accidents at night? If not, maybe she could sleep in your bedroom on the floor?

The only reason I mention it is that our Wesley did the EXACT same thing at around the same age. He was fine sleeping in his crate in the kitchen until he was about a year old or so. And then, he cried horribly at night. Once we freed him from the crate and allowed him to sleep in our room on the floor, all was well.

He was not only less lonely, but I was able to quieten him on nights when he did stir. If he awakens because of a passing truck or something, I can tell him to SETTLE and he knows what that means and will go back to sleep.

Just a thought for your situation.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I would also try moving her crate into your room. labs love being with their people and she may be crying to just be in the same room with you. I would also get her checked out and make sure there isn't a physiological reason for it also. But regardless, I'd still move the crate into your room.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I want to add that moving the crate may not solve the problem. Our crates have been in our room next to our bed since day one and still both puppies have had a week or two of this crying and barking in the night for no reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
moving her crate into our room is definitly not an option. we have a baby that sleeps a few feet away in his room and with the lack of sleep im already having from the baby, I don't the puppy him up if she continues to bark after the moving. Plus we are trying to keep the dog from being upstairs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts