Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
President Barack Obama's inauguration next week is set to be the most expensive ever, predicted to reach over $150m (£102m). This dwarfs the $42.3m spent on George Bush's inauguration in 2005 and the $33m spent on Bill Clinton's in 1993.

Part of the spending includes emergency funding announced by the White House on Tuesday to help with the soaring costs. Most of this new federal funding will be to deal with the huge influx of people, estimated 1.5 million to 2 million.

A White House statement said that President Bush "declared an emergency exists in the District of Columbia".

If there is snow, the costs will grow higher. The long-term forecast suggests there is a chance of snow on Sunday and again on the day of inauguration, on Tuesday.

Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the joint congressional committee on inaugural ceremonies, told the New York Daily News, which estimated the cost at $160m: "We're always very budget conscious. But we're sending a message to the entire world about our peaceful transition of power, and you don't want it to look like a schlock affair. It needs to be appropriate to the magnitude of events that it is."

Florman deals specifically with the inauguration ceremony at the Congress, which is relatively modest. The surge in spending is partly because of the Obama's decision to open the entire Mall to the public.

The federal government has budgeted $49m for the inauguration. But this does not take account of other demands, such as from Virginia and Maryland, the states surrounding the capital, that have also asked for emergency funding.

In addition, funding will come from Obama's own fund-raising efforts and from private contributors.

One of the biggest costs is transport, and the Washington DC transport authority has also put in a request to the federal government for extra funding.

Obama today issued a statement calling on people across the nation to participate by holding their own neighbourhood events, including their own balls. He acknowledged the logistical problems that will face Washington.

"Now, you've probably heard the reports that unprecedented numbers of Americans are planning to join us in Washington. That will mean long lines, a tough time getting around, and most of all, a lot of walking on what could be a very cold winter day," Obama said.

The presidential inaugural committee today published details of the inauguration and the days running up to it.

On Sunday, there will be a free concert opened by Obama at the Lincoln Memorial, with songs from Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé and others and historical readings by actors including Jamie Foxx and Denzel Washington.

On Monday night, there will be a children's inaugural event in Washington.

On Tuesday, there will be the inauguration, parade led by the Obamas from Congress to the White House and a series of balls in the evening.

The inauguration events will end on Wednesday with a prayer service at the Washington National Cathedral.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Okay, considering the financial & economic situation in the US presently, is an inauguration costing this much money really necessary??? :confused: :confused:

I know, I know it is an historic & monumental inauguration of the first African American president... *blah, blah, blah* :whatever: But I do not see where spending that kind of money, even if Mr. Obama has raised some of it himself, is really necessary. To me that is excess at the wrong time!

I love how Carole Florman says "We're always very budget conscious...", she calls this being "budget conscious". :laugh: Then, she says "you don't want it to look like a schlock affair. It needs to be appropriate to the magnitude of events that it is" Newsflash Ms. Florman... it is possible to put on a nice affair without a $160 million price tag on it.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It never occurs to anybody in government to tell Virginia and Maryland to turn in their "actual" costs afterwards and they'll be reimbursed for them. No, everything has to be just a grab upfront for as much as you can get.

Frankly, I don't think it bodes well. There's just too much freedom handing out our money.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Lexis Mom said:
:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Okay, considering the financial & economic situation in the US presently, is an inauguration costing this much money really necessary??? :confused: :confused:

I know, I know it is an historic & monumental inauguration of the first African American president... *blah, blah, blah* :whatever: But I do not see where spending that kind of money, even if Mr. Obama has raised some of it himself, is really necessary. To me that is excess at the wrong time!

I love how Carole Florman says "We're always very budget conscious...", she calls this being "budget conscious". :laugh: Then, she says "you don't want it to look like a schlock affair. It needs to be appropriate to the magnitude of events that it is" Newsflash Ms. Florman... it is possible to put on a nice affair without a $160 million price tag on it.
DITTO!

T

·
0 Posts
Okay, considering the financial & economic situation in the US presently, is an inauguration costing this much money really necessary???

I know, I know it is an historic & monumental inauguration of the first African American president... *blah, blah, blah* But I do not see where spending that kind of money, even if Mr. Obama has raised some of it himself, is really necessary. To me that is excess at the wrong time!
I agree with you here. And here I'm trying to cut back and give some to people as much as I can :(

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I wonder how much of the cost is just for safety? i.e. blocking the roads, making sure transportation is safe, portapotties... etc.

There is also a lot of money to be made. Travel agencies, hotels, restaurants, vendors handing out Obama-gear. It's like a mini economic event.

I wanted to go... I still regret not going. But I have Ender, it would have been too expensive for me at this time.... but I wish I had been able.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Hey Linds, is Eric going?

They said a huge chunk of that came from "Celebrity donations". :ugly:

T

·
0 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Hey Linds, is Eric going?

They said a huge chunk of that came from "Celebrity donations". :ugly:
Boy, I'm glad they donated their hard earned money to help out someone in need in this economy :ugly:

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Amy~ Is Eric going?... uhh.. yeah... he went to the thing on the mall there yesterday. He's in town til Jan 22... I imagine he's gonna go to as much as he can.

Regina~ Yeah... cause Bono and Oprah never do charity work.

T

·
0 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
Amy~ Is Eric going?... uhh.. yeah... he went to the thing on the mall there yesterday. He's in town til Jan 22... I imagine he's gonna go to as much as he can.

Never said they didn't, just that we're in hard times and people are in huge trouble, losing their homes, not able to feed their kids, when I think of the two, an inauguration or people on the streets now, I wouldn't think of putting a penny towards something like this, Obama or not, If I had a million to donate, every penny would go towards something other than this, that's just me though, I just can't put the two on the same page. I see that amount and think it's totally uncalled for. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

T

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Tundra Aries said:
Ender's Mom said:

Never said they didn't, just that we're in hard times and people are in huge trouble, losing their homes, not able to feed their kids, when I think of the two, an inauguration or people on the streets now, I wouldn't think of putting a penny towards something like this, Obama or not, If I had a million to donate, every penny would go towards something other than this, that's just me though, I just can't put the two on the same page. I see that amount and think it's totally uncalled for. I'm not the only one that feels this way.
I'm trying to explain that the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive... or that one doesn't help the other.

Celebrities can influence other people. It's not just about donating money to a charity. It's about raising awareness... contributing, but using their unique position of influence to get more and more people to do the same.

Obama going to do community service probably costs a lot more in security costs then any actual work he could do... but seeing him go makes millions of people consider doing the same. Of those people, how many will actually go out and do it.

You spent time on here talking about how people should give. That time you spent COULD HAVE BEEN SPENT doing something... but you know the value of using your friendships and talking about an issue to get more people involved and that is valuable.

So no... it's not... spend $1 mil here or there... it's much more complicated than that.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
It seems like the cost is so large because of the number of people going to the event. So, imo... that means the costs are largely associated with keeping proper order and everyone safe from harm. I don't think that is money wasted.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
So, imo... that means the costs are largely associated with keeping proper order and everyone safe from harm. I don't think that is money wasted.
Yup, they made big mention of that on the news this morning.

I don't have a problem with celebs donating to the president - this is the man that will run our country for the next 4 years. What I have a problem with, is baseball players and football players and basketball players making millions and millions of dollars a year to play a game. :whistle: LOL! I know, a bit off topic but my husband and I were talking about that lastnight.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts