Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11:30.

grrrr

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
DH has a 1000 appt. this morning- he is usually out in and out in a half hour- will see how it goes today. Heck that early in the morning they havent even had time to get behind- must of had hospital rounds that took longer then expected!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally made an appointment about the pain in my legs. Been a week and not any better.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That's a big issue for me I know they can't do a whole lot about it when I have to take off work I want to be seen on time. I've actually called before leaving work to ask if they were running on time before.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
DH has a 1000 appt. this morning- he is usually out in and out in a half hour- will see how it goes today. Heck that early in the morning they havent even had time to get behind- must of had hospital rounds that took longer then expected!

Oh yes they can! It infuriates me for them to be so late. If you were to show up and hour and a half late they for sure wouldn't see you. Why do they think thier time is so much more important. I can see 20 minutes late but not a hour and a half. When I was pregnant I scheduled my appt. for 8 or 8:30. No lie I wasn't seen until almost 10:30 for and 8:30 appt. When I kept asking what was going on she said to ask someone that cared. I was pissed. I spoke ti the clinic manager and she was repremanded. She hadn't even qued my chart. That was when I was going weekly at the end. One thing you don't want to do is piss off a pregnant woman. I threatend to leave because they obviously didn't care. They took me right back. I told them not to even think about leaving me in the room for half an hour either.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
That's a big issue for me I know they can't do a whole lot about it when I have to take off work I want to be seen on time. I've actually called before leaving work to ask if they were running on time before.

Sure than can. They double and triple book patients.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Lucikly DH was in out in short order- blood work done and rx's in hand! I love our clinic!! His appt. was 1000, and he was back home by 1050, that included a 15 min. chat with the doc :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
and that is why I never see a doctor, unless I am dead. :p

Actually I found scheduling with the Nurse pratictioner (sp?) is great. He is quick and gives me the drugs I want. I am in and out in the hour. Love him.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing is my doctor NEVER feels like he's rushing you. He'll talk things through, listen to all your issues, even the ones you aren't there for that day. It makes him run late. It's a give and take, I suppose. I think today was the worst it's ever been.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I've walked out of a doctor's office because of that. There is no excuse.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
that happened to me this week, too, melissa. appt. was for 9:45 and he came in the room at 5 minutes to 11. i think they forgot about me.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I usually see the nurse practioner for the same reason--much less wait time!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I went to an ENT once (on a lunch hour) and was there for 90 minutes before I inquired when I was going to be seen. There were at least 10 patients ahead of me. The receptionist then informed me (in hushed tones) that the doctor was at the FREAKIN emergency room and she did not know when he would be back!!! I mean - some of the other people waiting were sleeping!

I yelled and screamed and demanded an early morning appointment for the next day. I did not wait at all then!

I just could not believe that they would let all those people sit there waiting for the doc who was MIA.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I've walked out of a doctor's office because of that. There is no excuse.

You and me both sister.

My family practice doc runs on time to the minute. They schedule 15 minute appointments. I also love them because they leave an hour in the morning and after lunch so they can see people who call because they are sick so it is rare not to get a same day appointment if you are really ill.

I had my ortho guy trained as I saw him often for 5 years while my shoulder was rebuilt. To begin with he usually ran on time unless an emergency or something unexpected happened in surgery. But if he was running late and I couldn't get the last appointment of the day they would call and tell me just to come when I got off as he would use my scheduled time to shorten the wait for the other patients.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I can't believe how selfish you all sound.

Being I work in an ENT office, do you have any idea how very hard they work? If you have an appointment at 8 am, do you realise that they are at the hospital 2 hours before that to do rounds? Heaven forbid someone's child is bleeding post tonsillectomy and inconveniences you. So sorry you missed your lunch hour at the doctor, but did you stop to think that that might be his/her lunch hour too?

Yes its wrong to leave you waiting, but its not like these people are sitting at subway laughing that there are people waiting for them.

Yes, there are doctors like that, but hell...they are one person.

OH and by the way, our hospitals send all ER patients to our clinic for 9 am, whether they've spoken with the doctor or not, so try to make your appointments later in the day (ie when the doctor has to go home) if you want to be in right away, but things happen. Its not like its a 20 minute oil change, the doctor has no way of knowing how long each patient is going to take, let alone the secretary.

Think about it from the other end.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think only one person mentioned an ENT. My family doctor definitely does not do hospital rounds. And regardless, it is not "selfish" to expect to come in for an 11:00 appt and be seen within a reasonable amount of time. If I want to wait 4 hrs for an appt, I will go to the ER or an E-clinic. Doctors should have some respect for their patients, regardless of their busy schedules, and try their best to make appts or not make them at all. Emergencies do happen, but it is up to the staff to make sure appts are rearranged. A lot of times it is not the dr's fault, but poor office management that makes the appt woes even worse. If my OB/GYN has a premature delivery or other emergency, for example, the office calls and lets everyone know to reschedule. Patient/doctor relationships work both ways.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think only one person mentioned an ENT. My family doctor definitely does not do hospital rounds. And regardless, it is not "selfish" to expect to come in for an 11:00 appt and be seen within a reasonable amount of time. If I want to wait 4 hrs for an appt, I will go to the ER or an E-clinic. Doctors should have some respect for their patients, regardless of their busy schedules, and try their best to make appts or not make them at all. Emergencies do happen, but it is up to the staff to make sure appts are rearranged. A lot of times it is not the dr's fault, but poor office management that makes the appt woes even worse. If my OB/GYN has a premature delivery or other emergency, for example, the office calls and lets everyone know to reschedule. Patient/doctor relationships work both ways.

Absolutely agree. In the end, patients are customers too - and should be treated with some degree of respect and common courtesy. It is not courteous or respectful to neglect to nform someone when they check in for an appointment that there will be an extensive wait - then it is the patient's informed decision to leave or to wait. I have had practices tell me that the Dr was called out on an emergency and I always appreciated being informed. Of course emergenices arise - but that is no excuse to abuse the time of the people who made appointments.

I guarantee you, if a nurse or the doctor at the practice I referenced walked into my business and was not waited on for even 15 minutes I would hear about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts