Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I just got a great dog from the rescue. He is 10 months and when I got him he is potty trained and can sit. What's the best way to train a lab? It's like this guy has too much energy to listen lol. I'd love to be able to get him to a point where I can take him off the leash but as of right now... I have to use a leash to bring him in the house, otherwise he runs off. Any training advice for an older puppy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Start with two 30 min. walks a day everyday. Second you need to redirect his attention to you (can be easily done with healthy treats). I do not recommend letting him off leash until he has the come command down. Once he has that down what I do is take him out to safe wooded area or nature trail. Let him off leash and go for a walk. If he gets to far away call his name and hide. After a few times he'll always keep you in site. The key is to do it at about the same distance everytime. By doing this you accomplish a couple of things, 1. Not to venture to far away from you. 2. He'll learn to start using his nose to find you. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agree with the previous post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts