Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...just because it's absolutely gorgeous out and I don't feel like working! I'm going to stop at my favorite garden center on the way home and pick up 2 more Witches Brooms and some decorative grass to finish my front sidewalk garden. :D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
What color brooms? We scored some nice healthy yellow ones last week! We always called them English brooms,same thing?

J

·
0 Posts
YAY!!! Enjoy!!

My decorative grass grew like crazy last year!! It was really pretty and easy to maintain!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We always called them English brooms,same thing?
Oh is that what they're called? That would explain why it didn't come up when I did a Google image search. My MIL called it a witches broom, that's where I got it from.

Anywho, we bought a beautiful yellow one for the front and it's doing beautifully. I've only seen them in yellow and the red one we had a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I just saw that they're also referred to as Scotch Broom.

Nance, yesterday I counted the flowed that I planted last weekend. 113!!! Not including the perennials that Paul has in the front part.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Amy, a red one ! Dang we've had off whites and yellow. Crap! Now I want red ones!

I had beautiful gardens and landscaping at our old house. I'm starting all over again, it's kind of fun but I really miss my old established stuff. I do have some nice ornamental grasses going now.

Have fun today!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom, do a google image search under scotch broom and you'll see the red one. I love it! Question though, do they bloom all summer or just the spring? I don't remember.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We're a bit north of you ,so our blooming time runs later and shorter. If I remember we had them bloom in late May and for just a few weeks. I used the brooms as a mini hedge row along a wet weather spring we had. Now I miss my old house!

J

·
0 Posts
Ooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you were going to decorate your garden with these.

I just thought you just had a different style of decorating.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Tom, I just saw that they're also referred to as Scotch Broom.
I was just going to say I've heard them called Scotch Broom as well as Witches. We have a yellow and a red one out back. We haven't really had much luck with the red, tho. We lost our first one the winter after we planted it. The one we have now did fine the first winter, but now looks like it might be dying off. :-\ If it does, we've already decided not to get another one. We're talking about putting a varigated Holly there instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts