Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
holy crap, colin! :scare: that car has had all kinds of expensive issues in the last year or so, hasn't it?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I'm sorry. I'm going through something of the same. My washing machine died about 6 weeks ago. Three weeks ago the dishwasher died, then the toaster oven caught fire. It has been an expensive 2 months.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I hope that's dollars and not pounds

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kaisdad said:
Time for a new car, Colin!
You are right Cam

They came back to me this afternoon and asked for $2800 for additional work ( Total )

I've capped them at $1700 which is the minimum I could pay ! With hindsight, I'd have scrapped it but at least if it's back on the road it gives me a few months to sort out another car !

I could get a reasonably priced new lease car with my job, but with carrying four dogs round in it a lot of the time would be sacrilege plus I don't have to clean the hairs out every week and worry about accidental ( dog ) scratches.

Definitely US dollars Kelli ! In pounds I've limited them to £1300.00

It's true Betsy - leasing costs dollars so I'm probably still in pocket truth be known but it doesn't feel like that !

Having said that, the car's got 137k on the clock and is a little worn around the edges ! That's why I'm loathe to spend money on it * sigh - again *

Kate - It's a mondeo estate !

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trickster said:
I'd be tempted to get a new car. Well, a second hand one anyway.
Hindsight Rosie but I'm on the case ! Just buying myself a bit more time to pick and choose !

I hate looking for new cars - Hate it !

I hired a Ka for today ! Please God don't ever let me have to drive one of those again - please.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

$1264 for a new clutch? Is that thing made of iron and gold?
And I'll echo your thoughts on the Ford Ka - cheap pieces of crap.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
You might have reached "the point." "The Point" is that moment in a cars life where you have replaced every major component that can go wrong. If so, I suggest keeping the car as long as possible. I am doing that now with a 1999 Ford Crown Vic. When Vic hit the 100K mile mark I had a choice. Trade it or keep it. I reviewed the repairs I've done and rolled the dice. I now have 130K with no major expenses. That's 19 months no payments, no big dollar repairs. (besides I wouldn't get much money for a 100K POS Ford anyways)

"From the ground it came, into the ground it shall go"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts