How do I stop Batman from getting over-excited when guests come over?

Thread: How do I stop Batman from getting over-excited when guests come over?

animuL is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow do I stop Batman from getting over-excited when guests come over?

Batman is about 13 months old now and in general he is a true delight. He is calm, obedient, sweet, and loving. He stays in-side most of the time and we have a doggy door in the basement so he can go out whenever he wants. He doesn't tear stuff up, he doesnt bark, bite, or lick. He is really a good dog. Most of the time he runs around with his own agenda playing with toys and checking out whats going on outside. He does come to my wife and I with a toy every once in a while to have us throw it or to plug tug-of-war. The rest of the time he's laying on the rug watching TV with his head on our feet.

So whats the problem? Well no matter what is going on if the door bell ring he immediately runs to it and starts jumping at it. He's not being ferocious, he doesn't bark or anything, he just SOOO excited that someone is coming over. I have to grab him and hold him back when I open the door and he fights with everything he's got to check out the visitors. If I let him go he jumps at them for attention, then he'll run and grab a toy to get them to play with him, then back to jumping. Even though he is over a year old, he's a mix and is only about 40 pounds but still thats enough to be more than annoying when he jumps at you and of course a small child he can easily knock over. He never gets mean at all he just goes crazy with excitement. If you mostly ignore him he calms down in about 10 minutes and will be laying half asleep on the rug again. If you play with him he will stay excited but not jumping anymore.

When he does this I tell him to get down and he does listen but soon after he's back to jumping on people. Some have said to step on his back feet when he jumps up. I have tried this and sure it stops him that time, but right afterward he jumps up again. This is frustrating because it makes other people not enjoy coming over as much and some people don't get to see how good of a dog he can really be. I don't like to hear that people have said my dog is out of control, crazy, a bad dog, or whatever. He most certainly is not, but I need to figure out how to break him of this excitement when guests come over. Does anyone have some advice?

One other thing to note is that my wife and I enter the house thru the garage door and guests enter thru the front door. Batman never really acts that way towards me or my wife tho regardless of how we enter the house. He's always there and excited to see us but doesn't just up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I stop Batman from getting over-excited when guests come over?

I had to put a training lead on Macy when people came over, because she did the same thing. When she jumped, I tugged at it gently and gave her a firm "off". It worked.

I love his name, by the way!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I stop Batman from getting over-excited when guests come over?

I used to gate Miles away from the front door. He could see the door and the people come in and they could see them. They could at least get their coats off and prepare themselves before the "lab greeting".
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Blackieboo is offline Junior Member

teach him to sit at the front door and wait for permission to greet guests.

johno is offline Senior Member

Its sounds like your dog is being triggered by the front door bell and then the guests. Try ringing the doorbell yourself over and over again and have him realize that the doorbell doesnt neccessarily mean play time and new playmates.

Also when guests do arive, totally ignore the dog until he calms down. Even to the point of leaving it for 10 minutes after he's calmed down so he no longer makes the link between visitors and play time. That doorbell for the dog is like an alarm going off that its playtime and its a big instant rush for the dog. This will take some work but you I think you can fix it.

Gene Guest

I have the same problem, except my two start barking ferously, pounce against the door and sound like pit bulls if they hear someone at the door. It scares away bible thumpers and salesmen, so I haven't corrected it. My friends and family are use to it, as they know my dogs are really harmless.