Overaggressive Dog...need advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overaggressive Dog...need advice

absynthe is offline Member

DefaultOveraggressive Dog...need advice

Hi all

I'm actually doing this on behalf of my sister. She has a dog she rescued from the pound, and while the breed lines aren't officially known, we can see pit bull, german shepherd, and lab in him. He is a very aggressive dog named Jackson. In pictures of him you can see the wild in his eyes.

I volunteered to help her train him, but I need some advice myself. She's taken him to training classes and he still acts this way. Jackson tends to attack when you have your back turned, does not understand the command to stop jumping on people very well, barks all the time, etc. It's obvious that he's been abused by the previous owner. He also tends to bite.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all input

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Overaggressive Dog...need advice

Take him to a behaviouralist. If he's genuinely aggressive, obedience training won't cure the problem, and there's a lot that you can do to make it worse. He needs help from a good behaviouralist that can work with him on a personal basis.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Wow, that is really tough.

One thing to keep in mind, training and behavior modification is a way of life. Obedience classes themselve will not fix any problem and certainly not one like you describe. A good instructor should be able to teach your sister how to work with this dog. The training school in my area has some reactive dog seminars on occasion. One thing I have learned is that yelling at the dog, pulling him away only makes it worse. When she sees a situation that may cause a reaction, she should be ready to distract the dog and get his attention on her. If he is looking at her and playing with a toy or eating a treat, he isn't attacking. It takes a lot of time and patience. In the meantime, she is always going to have to make sure this dog is separated from people and other dogs. If he really bites someone, she will have a big problem.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

She should talk to the pound first to see what they have to say about he dog when he was there. I'm sure they did testing on the dogs personality and if it were aggressive it would've been pts, not adopted out.

Next, a behaviouralist. It doesn't sound like something an amatuer should try to tackle on their own.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Behaviourist, stat. This is one for the pros.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Behaviourist, stat. This is one for the pros.
    I agree. Unless you have experience with aggressive dogs and dog mentality I would NOT step in.

Only a behaviorist with experience can truly help them. In this case, working at home with your sister and showing them how to act, react, and what body language they must have with their dog.

If this dog is truly aggressive it will require a very large commitment. Did they know this before adopting the dog? I just fostered a dog with some aggression issues. It's far from easy. At least in my foster's case it was ressource guarding only, no attacking.

I do have to ask - are you sure it is aggression and not just misbahaving? Is he biting to bite or mouthing? Is he jumping to attack (when your back is turned) or is he trying to get them to play? What did the obedience instructor say? I find it hard to beleive the instructor would have let such behavior go by without stepping in and saying something.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    Hi all

I'm actually doing this on behalf of my sister. She has a dog she rescued from the pound, and while the breed lines aren't officially known, we can see pit bull, german shepherd, and lab in him. He is a very aggressive dog named Jackson. In pictures of him you can see the wild in his eyes.

I volunteered to help her train him, but I need some advice myself. She's taken him to training classes and he still acts this way. Jackson tends to attack when you have your back turned, does not understand the command to stop jumping on people very well, barks all the time, etc. It's obvious that he's been abused by the previous owner. He also tends to bite.

Thoughts?

Thanks for all input
    All of the above could be merely the behavior of an underexercised and under trained dog. I would like to hear exactly what you mean by aggressive. Is this dog biting down with force, or is it mouthy? Is this still a puppy? Some very high energy dogs can be a real handful and can seem confrontational to an inexperienced eye.

It would be a terribly irresponsible shelter that would release an aggressive dog for adoption and like has been said - why an obedience trainer would not intervene and advise at least one on one work if he/she saw aggressions issues is very odd.
    Sharon

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    Hi all
    It's obvious that he's been abused by the previous owner. He also tends to bite.
    can you explain how it's obvious he's been abused?
    I have worked with dogs from a wide variety of situations and people often tell me that
    very very rarely do I find it obvious (though I have one fella right now I have serious concerns about)

I too wonder if he's a rowdy high drive dog - your description matches my maniac Sally who truly doesn't have an aggressive bone in her wild child body
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Oh, I definitely agree with what everyone else said that your sister should continue to work with a professional with this dog if the dog has the issues you say. If she thinks she can't afford to do so, I can't stress enough that she can't afford not to. From the behavior you describe, this dog sounds like a candidate to bite. If he bites someone, she will lose the dog and likely have a lawsuit and other charges on her hands.

Lots of exersize wil calm a stressed dog. This dog probably needs a good hour of exersize twice a day.

Good luck.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

brody is offline Senior Member

whether the biting is aggression or play motivated working with a pro (frm my point of view a positive pro ) is the best bet - distinguishing between various types of bites is not always easy...

the health care costs alone if someone even in the family gets bitten badly could easily surpass the costs of a pro

I know two people bitten in the last month - one spent a week in hospital, one requires plastic surgery to correct the scar tissue that formed

a tired dog ios often a good dog - getting a dog to tired can take some real work on the human end tho - leash walking doesn't do it ususally
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast