Crating all day/how much food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crating all day/how much food?

Gracies_Mom is offline Member

DefaultCrating all day/how much food?

hey all,
    I have a question. My Gracie is 11 weeks old going on 12weeks here and luckily I have been home to care for her (was laid off my job prior to picking her up). But I am looking for work and have interviews lined up so I am pretty sure I will be working full time here soon.
    My question is since she is going to be crated all day (hopefully, I should be able to come home at lunch time to feed and relieve her) how much food and water should I give her in the morning and at lunch? Meaning would it be best if I gave her less food/water then I have been giving here? Considering she is going to have to hold it for four hours. She obviously holds it all night everyday when she is crated at night.

Any advice on what works best would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ourbailey is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Crating all day/how much food?

i work full time and my boyfriend does as well so our chocolate lab is in his crate from 8am til 1pm when i come home for lunch to feed him and let him out. and then until 6:00pm when i get home from work. we feed him his normal amount of food in the morning and at lunch time as well. he has yet to mess in his crate. this is our first puppy and we were told to just make sure the crate is big enough so that if they do mess in there crate they can get away from it. from what we heard they will do their best to not mess in the crate at all. I think your puppy will be fine in the crate during the day, our bailey is 10 weeks old and he is doing good. hope this makes u feel better and goodluck

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How much to feed depends on the kcals/cup of the food you're feeding, its weight, age, and how much daily exercise the puppy gets. As well as individual differences in puppies.

Most bags of food recommend feeding much more than most dogs need.

Most Labs will overeat if given their 'druthers.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gracies Mom
    ... how much food and water should I give her in the morning and at lunch? Meaning would it be best if I gave her less food/water then I have been giving here?
    I work all day as well, and come home at lunch to let both boys out. Oliver is 15 weeks old and gets the same amount of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner on days that he's crated that he does on the weekends. I think that's what you're asking, right? Whether you can still feed the same amount that you have been? Just because Gracie will be crated doesn't mean you should cut down the amount of food she gets for breakfast/lunch (are you worried about potential accidents in her crate?).

I also provide water for Oliver all day as well, even in his crate (I use a large rabbit bottle/waterer, kinda like a hamster bottle but bigger). We've not had a problem with peeing/pooping in his crate as a result of keeping his meals the same, or having water available.

Good luck with Gracie!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    ... how much food and water should I give her in the morning and at lunch? Meaning would it be best if I gave her less food/water then I have been giving here?
    I work all day as well, and come home at lunch to let both boys out. Oliver is 15 weeks old and gets the same amount of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner on days that he's crated that he does on the weekends. I think that's what you're asking, right? Whether you can still feed the same amount that you have been? Just because Gracie will be crated doesn't mean you should cut down the amount of food she gets for breakfast/lunch (are you worried about potential accidents in her crate?).

I also provide water for Oliver all day as well, even in his crate (I use a large rabbit bottle/waterer, kinda like a hamster bottle but bigger). We've not had a problem with peeing/pooping in his crate as a result of keeping his meals the same, or having water available.

Good luck with Gracie!

yes, you are right I am worried about accidents in her crate. Also in regards to water all day in the crate. I got one of those small bowls that attach to the the crate and used it one day when I was out for 3 hrs or so. I didn't fill it all the way either. Well, we got home and my mom got her out of the crate to take her out to pee well when my mom picked her up (we always pick her up and carry her outside) she peed on my mom's jacket. This is my concern about leaving water in her crate all day.. I am perplexed as to what do with this. When she is crated at night I obviously take her water away a couple hours before I put her in for the nite.

Oh, I gotcha about the water. Hmm... maybe someone will have a better suggestion as to what to do with water... I find that if Ollie gets enough with his meals, he doesn't really drink that much when he's in his crate.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

maybe I'll try the water bottle as you mentioned. Was it hard for puppy to figure out how to use it?

Nope, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Nope, not at all.
    thanks so much! I will try it sometime this week and see how it goes.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

maybe I'll try the water bottle as you mentioned. Was it hard for puppy to figure out how to use it?
    We use a bottle that latches onto the crate that's similar to a hamster water bottle, with the metal ball on the end of it. He never takes more than a few sips per day, but at least its there.

Ours is a cheap one and leaks a bit, but in principle it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast