Getting a lab puppy today - have some questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a lab puppy today - have some questions

kenyacat is offline Member

DefaultGetting a lab puppy today - have some questions

I am all set with a crate, dishes, and a rope toy, collar and leash. What are some essentials that I should get for the puppy?

What kind of toys are safe for puppies?

It has been a long time since we have had a dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Getting a lab puppy today - have some questions

Puppy kongs are essential!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A nylabone - not the edible kind - is essential for little chewer/teethers. It will help to redirect him from your hands, feet and furniture.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She did give me some food that I could mix with the Iams to get him use to a different brand. She buys her food at a feed store. She appeared to have tons of dogs.

I am having a couple issues and I am not sure how best to handle. He doesn't like the cold and snow too much. I took him out and he kept on wanting to leave the grass that I shoveled snow off of. He got up on the porch and not 2 seconds later found a place to poo. I took him back to the grass to pee hopefully, but he still hasn't done that. He is back in the crate right now.

My other question is play time. He just seems to want to jump all over you and whine. So I keep taking him back out thinking he has to pee. Not sure what supervised play time is supposed to consist of.

Just took him out again. After whining in the grass and pulling toward the porch, he immediately started to pee on the porch. I have no idea what his potty life was like at his old home.

Indymom is offline Member

Congrats on your new addition!

How old is he? Playtime, I believe, should be about 5 minutes for every week they are old...then depending on his age, he'll want a nap...

A big part of getting to know your dog is learning his signals...if he has to pee/poop, he might sniff the floor...you can pretty much gauge when he'll need to poop based on when he eats..so a good rule for poops is first thing in the morning and after every meal. He'll poop more the more he eats.

Playing with him is great! I am also a believer in cuddles and tummy rubs, just whenever...others on this board feel differently...IMO whatever works the best for you is good.

I don't have any suggestions on how to get him to pee in the yard...what did he pee on at his old home? Our pup was taught to pee on wood shavings...which we used for transition purposes to our yard, but she doesn't use them now...you might try getting whatever it was he peed on and putting that in the spot you've chosen for him....

Hope that helps!

Well, after 2 trips outside we had a small accident inside.

But while we picked him up another puppy came running into the room with one of those training pads. I am thinking maybe she used them. I can pick some of them up and put on the grass until he is more comfortable. Maybe that will work.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kenyacat
    Well, after 2 trips outside we had a small accident inside.

But while we picked him up another puppy came running into the room with one of those training pads. I am thinking maybe she used them. I can pick some of them up and put on the grass until he is more comfortable. Maybe that will work.
    I really wouldnt worry about him having accidents especially on his 1st day. Just be consistent, take him outside every 30 mins on a leash and stand in the same spot everytime, let him sniff and when he does pee...PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE

He will soon learn that that is where he is supposed to go. Never scould for accidents.

TN_LAB is offline Member

You have to stop it with all this cute puppy stuff. I just got a puppy about 9 months ago and I don't have room or patience for another one. You must quit tempting me. Especially since I have some friends in the local retriever club that just had some puppies and are needing to get rid of them.

You guys are evil and you must stop it with this cute puppy stuff.

My thoughts? Get a clicker. Start working with a clicker for some basic obedience commands.

Toys? How about some humans? Seriously...make sure he's well socialized and knows how to act around people.

Indymom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by indymom
    Congrats on your new addition!

How old is he? Playtime, I believe, should be about 5 minutes for every week they are old...then depending on his age, he'll want a nap...
    I was just reminded in another thread, that the general rule for exercise is 5 minutes for every MONTH they are old...not week...

Just thought I'd correct my mistake...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast