HOLY crap...

Thread: HOLY crap...

absynthe is offline Member

DefaultHOLY crap...

HI! Sorry I haven't been active lately, school eats my soul

Anyway, we finally got a buddy dog for Max - a 2 year old springer spaniel named Sophie. The girl couldn't keep her because she moved into an apartment and has three? kids.

You'd think that if you owned an AKC registered purebred that you paid $500 for, you'd do SOMETHING with her.
    No. Sophie knows how to sit. That's it. She doesn't even know what a ball or fetch is.

I was handed a bag full of things for Sophie - a feeding bowl that had never been washed, a water bowl in the same condition, an odd pet bed, and her food. Know what her food was? Freaking Gravy Train. Let's all feed our kids twinkies. Jeeze.

Anyway, we've run into a bit of a problem: this morning, I let Max and Sophie out like I usually do with Max, no leash, while I grab their food and follow them to the dog pen we built this weekend. I get outside, and Sophie is GONE. She's all the way to the road, in the woods, everywhere but close to the house and close to me. It took half an hour for us to get her under control.

How can I train a 2 year old spaniel? She's gorgeous and full of energy, but you can really tell where her upbringing well...didn't favor her very well. I know people do what they can, but man, it just seems like she was bought for the fact that she's purebred, like a toy, and it pisses me off.

Advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HOLY crap...

Also, she cries like she's being beaten whenever we crate her. If we're really quiet, she stops, but the second we make noise, she cries and yelps.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Oh - Springers in my experience are travelers. Like to follow their noses. You will need to leash her to transport her to the pen you have. You MAY be able to boundry train her after you have an effective recall.

There is no reason why you cannot train this dog as simply as a puppy. I would look into obedience for her - I bet she responds very nicely to some direction and leadership. But keep her leashed until she makes progress on the recall.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When it comes to the crate, You need to start slowly. Keep in mind that she's probably never seen anything like her and it probably terrifies her. Get her to go in using treats without actually shutting her in and work your way up to closing the door for a few minutes at a time.

With everything else, she probably knows that she's in charge and can do whatever she likes - If she did no training and was at least somewhat neglected by her previous owner, she probably knows no boundaries. You need to be firm and show her that you're the pack leader, but you have to also keep in mind that she's probably stressed and scared by all the change.

I would definately say that you need to start taking her to obedience classes as soon as possible. It will help establish a bond with her and also reinforce the fact that you are the leader.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

This reminds me of a time when I was in Army, I had a friend who liked to play bridge and was much better at it than me. When anyone asked him how to play better bridge -- which was often -- he always said 'there are 4 simple rules to playing winning bridge:'

1. Get a book on bridge

2. Read the book on bridge

3. Do what the book says

4. Get some Aces and Kings

Yes, if you have a good obedience class available, enroll in it with your Springer.

But a good book on dog training will also help you identify a "good" class from one that isn't. I have Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" but her more recent "Power of Positive Dog Training" has excellent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

It could be that reading the good book on dog training would be sufficient -- but you would have to follow Rule 3.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    This reminds me of a time when I was in Army, I had a friend who liked to play bridge and was much better at it than me. When anyone asked him how to play better bridge -- which was often -- he always said 'there are 4 simple rules to playing winning bridge:'

1. Get a book on bridge

2. Read the book on bridge

3. Do what the book says

4. Get some Aces and Kings

Yes, if you have a good obedience class available, enroll in it with your Springer.

But a good book on dog training will also help you identify a "good" class from one that isn't. I have Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" but her more recent "Power of Positive Dog Training" has excellent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

It could be that reading the good book on dog training would be sufficient -- but you would have to follow Rule 3.
    While I agree 100% with this and I use about 4 books regularly, I like the structured format of the obedience classes, and the fact that there is a trainer that can help you customise the training if Sophie battles with anything.

I think it is a matter of preference, but I agree that getting a good book on the subject would also be a great start.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Spaniels are very different to Labs in terms of training. Unless you absolutely solidify their recall and anything else you particularly want to train (such as the retrieve) when they are puppies, you will struggle to do so when they reach adulthood. It is not that they are untrainable, but their independent personality and origin as a hunting dog makes them far more likely to 'switch off' and do what they want.

I agree with the suggestion of classes. Basic obedience first, then you might like to get her involved in an activity where she can use what she was bred to do -- tracking or hunting or something. Spaniels are so scent oriented that anything that involves getting to hunt something as their reward is what they live for. But you need to lay the foundations for the recall first (again, classes will help). Just be aware that this process will take time. When a Spaniel is stuck in their ways, it takes a pretty patient trainer to achieve a positive outcome.

Hmmm...Well, I'll work with her first. If I'm not making any headway whatsoever by the year's end, I'll seek out obedience classes, but I'm hoping this method will work. I've bought several books now haha-I'm a bookie. Should I isolate Sophie from Max when I'm working with her, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Max is still fairly young and he gets slightly jealous.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

riaancornelius said
    I like the structured format of the obedience classes, and the fact that there is a trainer that can help you customise the training if Sophie battles with anything.
    Trickster said
    I agree with the suggestion of classes.
    I also agree with classes. Although I've taught learning theory for many semesters as well as graduate students in animal learning labs, when Puff was a puppy, I watched a nearby training class and interviewed its instructor to make sure they were good -- and then signed both of us up for the class.

It wasn't because I didn't know the methods. I'm very much aware that anyone training can do things they're not aware of (or the converse) and it takes an skilled outside person to spot those things and point them out. And I'd not done any dog training for years.

But one (of many) great benefits of a good, sound book is that it gives you the best current practices and methods. There's an unbelievable amountof quack trainers with quack beliefs out there.

absynthe asked
    Should I isolate Sophie from Max when I'm working with her, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Max is still fairly young and he gets slightly jealous.
    Dogs and their reactions differ so much, it's hard to say. But, if it were me, I would separate them initially, in the beginning, because Max could be a distraction to Sophie if she has any difficulty focusing. After you make some headway with Sophie, it might be interesting to have them where they can see each other and then work with first one and then the other. It could be, for some dogs, that it might facilitate their learning.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748