Foster dog won't leave other dogs alone.

Thread: Foster dog won't leave other dogs alone.

2muchfun is offline Member

DefaultFoster dog won't leave other dogs alone.

I picked up Jack Black last Friday night. He is a neutered one year old Lab/Shepherd mix. He has obviously not been around other dogs very much and all he wants to do is hump my three, or paw at them, even when they are sleeping.

Bandit had had enough by Saturday and after repeated warnings went after Mr. Black. He had a tight grip on his nose and when I finally got him to let go Mr. Black had a nasty cut on his snout. He doesn't bother Bandit nearly as much now.

The problem is that Dakota and my Jack tell him off over and over again but it doesn't do any good. They have not actually bit him....yet, but they are sick of it and I am too. I tell Mr. Black no more, make him leave them alone and go lay down. He backs off for a minute but comes right back for more. What makes it difficult too is that his name is Jack so my Jack thinks I'm upset with him when I try to correct Mr. Black.

He has been here for almost 5 days now and does not get it. He actually has grabbed mouthfuls of fur off of my Jack's butt. Both Dakota and Jack growl and lunge at him but I'm afraid it may take physical contact before Mr. Black understands. Dakota is usually pretty aggressive and has convinced most fosters by now to back off but she is not doing that for some reason. My Jack is pretty laid back and he doesn't want to fight. I don't want my dogs to have to fight either. I don't mind them telling him off but that isn't working.

I will have to crate him when I leave for his own safety should a fight break out, and so that my dogs are not harassed all day. He isn't used to being crated but he will have to deal with it.

What can I do to teach this boy? Sometimes I think he thinks Jack is just playing with him but honestly, this is getting ridiculous. How do you teach this to an undersocialized dog? Should you have to teach this? Shouldn't he be getting it by now?

He is really a sweet boy otherwise. He is great with the grandkids.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
    Jill, mom to Dakota (black lab) and Bandit (yellow lab) and Jack - GSD mix.

Foster mom for the Las Vegas Valley Humane Society.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Foster dog won't leave other dogs alone.

He should be crated while you are gone and for short periods during the day when you can't supervise him. Foster dogs shouldn't get the full reign that your dogs do because they need to earn it. But I'd let the dogs work it out to an extent. He'll settle into a routine, give him a chance. Some dogs take longer to settle into a routine before they get it. Good luck.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    He should be crated while you are gone and for short periods during the day when you can't supervise him. Foster dogs shouldn't get the full reign that your dogs do because they need to earn it. But I'd let the dogs work it out to an extent. He'll settle into a routine, give him a chance. Some dogs take longer to settle into a routine before they get it. Good luck.
    +1 plus maybe you should leash him to you in the house if he does not start to work it out with the other dogs. You can intervene with your own correction if he is not understanding the correction he is getting from the dogs.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree about the crating. He is crated at night in my room when we go to bed. The other dogs sleep on the bed and floor. He is also crated if I need to shower or if I leave for a few minutes. I have not had to go to work yet so he has not been crated while I'm gone for the whole day. Starts tomorrow.

I really had not looked at crating like he has to earn the right to be free of the crate for this situation. I do believe that they have to earn the right to stay out by no longer chewing or pottying in the house. He should have to earn the right to stay out of the crate by learning how to get along with the other dogs.

I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this particular foster. Anytime there is a fight, meaning blood or biting, between my dogs and a foster it sends me into a state of numbness and I cease to be able to think clearly. I have had other dogs with all sorts of different issues but this just send me over the top and I am nervous about more fighting. He is very scared and unsure about what is happening in his life, which is understandable. I know he needs guidance, after all this is not his fault, and he can learn the proper way to interact with other dogs. I will be patient. How patient my Jack will be is questionable. He cannot walk down the hallway without Mr. Black trying to antagonize him. I can see that I do need to leash him to me.

Thanks so much for your responses. I can always use the help when I feel overwhelmed. It will get easier and Jack Black will be a wonderful, adoptable boy.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You know - since you already have a dog named Jack I don't think the world would end if you called this one something else. It would sure make life easier for your Jack who probably feels like he is being scolded all the time.
    Sharon

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

You know - since you already have a dog named Jack I don't think the world would end if you called this one something else. I would sure make life easier for your Jack who probably feels like he is being scolded all the time.
    + 100 first thing I was going to say - call him Blackie if you want or Frack or anything else but I would change the name you call him RIGHT NOW

also with Dani on crating him or confining him when you aren't around and to give everybody a break

I am a BIG believer in letting the dogs work it out generally (same size and good health) because if you interfere all the time he won't really get it except when you are right there

thanks for fostering btw
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    You know - since you already have a dog named Jack I don't think the world would end if you called this one something else. It would sure make life easier for your Jack who probably feels like he is being scolded all the time.
    Thanks for the replies BigBrownDog and Conrad. I actually have been calling him Blackie. (He is listed on our website as BlackJack). Frack sounds good right about now too. He wasn't responding to it for obvious reasons, but he now realizes that I am talking to him.

He is now crated when I cannot supervise him. Keeping him leashed to me is difficult but seems to be helping, if only to give Jack some peace. Blackie is still very focused on Jack and has to be corrected constantly. He goes into a zone, eyes huge, ears straight up, and he is intent on getting to Jack. It's like he is in a trance.

There have been a few other foster dogs in the past that have had this same fixation with Dakota. They were females also and I always thought that they were trying to compete with her for the alpha role. They left the other dogs alone, just focused on her. Sometimes she responded and other times ignored it. We had to be careful about the home they went to if the adoptor had other dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad

+ 100 first thing I was going to say - call him Blackie if you want or Frack or anything else but I would change the name you call him RIGHT NOW

also with Dani on crating him or confining him when you aren't around and to give everybody a break

I am a BIG believer in letting the dogs work it out generally (same size and good health) because if you interfere all the time he won't really get it except when you are right there

thanks for fostering btw
    I agree with letting the dogs handle it to a certain degree. There have been a few nasty fights in the past three years of fostering, and, even though I HATE it, most of the time it lead to some sort of understanding between them. Jack isn't usually aggressive, and it seems like his growls and charges just egg Blackie on. Wish I understood why this happens though, the psychology of it. Maybe it cannot be changed, just managed while they are with me. Maybe some dogs just don't, and won't, get along. But because this will happen again with other fosters I would like to understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    thanks for fostering btw
    Thank you! Not always easy but I cannot let them go to the shelter. That would be much harder for me to deal with.

brody is offline Senior Member

I hear you - if it's happened before it may be a vibe your own dogs are giving off to intruders.. so you may not see what what happens with the foster - as it might not be them - there is a difference in the way foster dogs get treated at our place as opposed to house guests ...

sometimes management as irritating as it is is the only solution - glad you are pushing through it though - I'm hoping things have settled down some for you all now
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller