What actions do I need to take!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What actions do I need to take!!

Izzie is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat actions do I need to take!!

Tonight when I told Izzie to get in her creat she stood at the door. I told her to get in her box and she still stood there. So after doing this a few more times I pushed her in and said " no in your box". Then out of no where she spins and snaps at me. I pushed her in and then slammed the door on the create. After a few min. of cool down time, for both of us I opened the door and tell her to come out and lay down in front of me. She did but the whole time she had this pizzed off look in her eyes and did not take them off of me. She laid there for a few min. and after she lost the stare down I told her to get back in her box. Which she did with no problem. This is the frist itme she has done anything like that and has never ever acted as if she would do that. It kinda worries me because the wife and I are expecting in a few months and I do not want this time grow into a problem with the baby too. What should I do to correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

archieandus is offline Member

DefaultRe: What actions do I need to take!!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzie
    Tonight when I told Izzie to get in her creat she stood at the door. I told her to get in her box and she still stood there. So after doing this a few more times I pushed her in and said " no in your box". Then out of no where she spins and snaps at me. I pushed her in and then slammed the door on the create. After a few min. of cool down time, for both of us I opened the door and tell her to come out and lay down in front of me. She did but the whole time she had this pizzed off look in her eyes and did not take them off of me. She laid there for a few min. and after she lost the stare down I told her to get back in her box. Which she did with no problem. This is the frist itme she has done anything like that and has never ever acted as if she would do that. It kinda worries me because the wife and I are expecting in a few months and I do not want this time grow into a problem with the baby too. What should I do to correct?
    I think the general questions to you would be:

How long is she in the crate per day, how many runs does she get per day, and how much love and attention does she get? She might be ticked off because she's not getting enough of the above.

She is only in her create at night. We go on 2-3 runs/walks a day. And we do nothing but play fetch and "love" on her the rest of the day. We let her sleep on the bed on the weekends, wondering if it is just because it is messing with her routine. She has started getting on the sofa to sleep when no one is looking, knowing full well that she is not allowed to be up there. If you are in the room with her and she starts te feel the need for a good nap she will slowly ease her way up on it. If you catch her and say off she willl just stand facing away from you until she thinks you are not looking (10 min. on sat.) and then ease her way on up. Like I said I am wondering if the weekend deal is messing her routine up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

archieandus is offline Member

You guys sound like great parents. Maybe it is the weekend change - wondering how old she is. Does she like her crate?

I think there is 2 other problems worth checking for. The first is to check that she's physically ok. She would snap at you if you hurt her when pushing her into the crate - Maybe there's a cut you didn't notice, or she has an upset tummy, etc.

The second is much harder to see and correct. You could be giving her too much love. I know that sounds unlikely and like a cruel thing to say, but dogs are pack animals, and they need a leader that behaves predictably and like they expect a leader to behave. If you aren't behaving like the leader, she might be feeling that she needs to take over as the leader, which will definately cause issues.

By the way, just to try and stop some of the uninformed negative replies that you invariably get when mentioning this, I am DEFINATELY NOT advising that you be a bully - There's a big difference between showing aggression and showing your dog that you are the leader.

Whats the ritual when you feed her?

What age is she now? Puppies become hierarchially aware around 18 weeks of age - If she's somewhere around that age, I'd be willing to bet that this is the problem. If not, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. As a side matter, This is why older dogs will tolerate just about anything from a puppy up to that point, but after that will tell them off when they get too boisterous.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]

She is 1 months. She has no cuts, maybe an upset tummy from the food change over.

When we feed her we have her sit on her "mat" and put the food in the her bowl, she is not allowed tp eat until we give the ok. she has be doing this since she was a month old.

I am still leaning toward the whole weekend thing, it will stop after last nights actions. We will she I may give the trainer a call and see what he has to say. He knows her well, and also knows how we are with her.

Thanks for the replies...and all of the input too... Now it is time to play in the snow!!!!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Why don't you give her a treat every time you make her load up in the crate? I do that with mine and they never give me trouble loading up ever...

Sorry she is 15 months, not 1..

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sorry she is 15 months, not 1..
    Phew!

Is this recent behavior? It sounds like she's testing you. Continue to be firm with her so she knows who's boss. I don't think you should physically force her into the crate though. Throw a treat in and then say "go to your crate" or whatever you say. She needs to see her crate as a positive thing, not a punishment.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did you actually get this puppy at one month as you say here:

When we feed her we have her sit on her "mat" and put the food in the her bowl, she is not allowed tp eat until we give the ok. she has be doing this since she was a month old.
    What kind of training has she had? Have you been to obedience class at all? Some of the things you are doing (staring her down and making her sit for an extended period before eating) are kind of old school.

It is much better to train with positive techniques and then use those techniques in action when working with your dog than to force and exert dominance to extract behaviors you want from the dog.
    Sharon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast