How long should a 4 month old be able to hold her pee ?????

Thread: How long should a 4 month old be able to hold her pee ?????

deb
    deb is offline Member

DefaultHow long should a 4 month old be able to hold her pee ?????

Bailey can hold her pee while in her cage - but seems to need to go about every hour. She will go without a problem outside - and hasn't really caught on that inside in not a "good girl" place to pee .... :no:

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Indymom is offline Member

DefaultRe: How long should a 4 month old be able to hold her pee ?????

Have you had her checked for a UTI?

Sophie had the same problem (at a much younger age) but she had a UTI that was making her go literally every 10 minutes. Since she's been treated (two rounds of anti-biotics) she's much better and can go a bit longer. I would say, at 13 weeks, Sophie probably can go about an hour or so between pees.

It also depends on how much water she drinks-of course. If she drinks a lot, she pees a lot. So, she's outside more often...or just randomly peeing in the house....

I think the basic rule is one hour for every month they are old...so Bailey should be able to hold it for four hours...that might just be for crating purposes though...you know, so you don't leave her in there too long without letting her out to pee.

Gene Guest

If I remember correctly, Merlot was crated at 10:30 pm when he was 4 months old, and always woke me up at 4:30 am to pee. So in his case, 6 hours was his limit. He was real easy to potty train, took only one week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by indymom
    Have you had her checked for a UTI?

Sophie had the same problem (at a much younger age) but she had a UTI that was making her go literally every 10 minutes. Since she's been treated (two rounds of anti-biotics) she's much better and can go a bit longer. I would say, at 13 weeks, Sophie probably can go about an hour or so between pees.

It also depends on how much water she drinks-of course. If she drinks a lot, she pees a lot. So, she's outside more often...or just randomly peeing in the house....

I think the basic rule is one hour for every month they are old...so Bailey should be able to hold it for four hours...that might just be for crating purposes though...you know, so you don't leave her in there too long without letting her out to pee.
    Yes, the rule of thumb is about an hour for every month (up to a maximum of about 8-10). It does vary for specific dogs, and it depends on the activity level of the dog, but I would definately have her checked for a medical condition if she can only hold it for an hour. At 4 months old my puppies would both sleep through the night without having to go out (about 6 hours 23:00 - 05:00).

If there is no medical problem, it might be a ploy to go outside and play. I would suggest that you don't play at all when going outside to pee. Put her on a leash and take her out and as soon as she pees, take her back in. If you do this, you have to make sure that you take her outside specifically to play. Maybe take her outside to pee, put her back in her crate for 5 minutes, and then take her outside to play. Just make sure thay potty time and play time are very distinct.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]