Eating too fast

Thread: Eating too fast

Scalli is offline Senior Member

DefaultEating too fast

My friend has a gorgeous 19 week old yellow boy, Cooper. He eats so fast that he often vomits it straight back up-not every time but often enough to worry her. Any ideas how to slow him down. Thankfully it is not something I had to deal with when Bailey was a pup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

First - he really needs to be fed twice a day morning and evening. If he is only eating once a day, he may be so famished he is inhaling it.

There are several solutions. Spread the kibble over a cookie sheet - it is harder to pick up (can't grab mouthfuls) and he will slow down. Get a bloat bowl (which has a raised area in the middle) this will also slow him down. Cheaper solution like the bloat bowl - put a good sized rock or a ball in the middle of the bow.

I use a bloat bowl and split the feeding (morning and evening) into 2 parts. He eats half of his food and then comes up for air - then I give him the other half.

And - if none of those things work - the dog can be fed from the hand - a little bit of kibble at a time - until he learns some self control.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.