frustrated with peeing in the house
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frustrated with peeing in the house

Remi is offline Member

Defaultfrustrated with peeing in the house

ARGH!

So for the past few weeks Remi has had a few accidents in the house. At first they weren't anything serious...just a little piddle on the floor. Earlier this week I got out of the shower to find that he had left a little trail through the kitchen. I immediately took him out and cleaned up the mess. This morning the same thing happened. I got out of the shower...except this time I found a trail from the back door, through the living room to the front door, back through the kitchen, up the stairs into the office and then into our bedroom. :surprise: :surprise:

I ran around cleaning up after him...as I went back down to the kitchen I found that he had piddle again all over the floor! I took him outside and he did pee...and not just a little. I should note that this was maybe 2-3 hours after I had already taken him out. That got me a little worried, I was concerned that maybe he was developing a UTI or something. So we went to the vet and gave a urine sample....and....surprise, it came back fine, no UTI.

So now I'm left feeling frustrated that Remi has started peeing in the house....he has been SO good since Day 1...up until now. Is regressing with house training normal?? What causes it?? Sorry for the vent....just confused/frustrated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: frustrated with peeing in the house

Are you using a product to clean up his accidents that totally eliminates the urine residue (regular cleaning products will not). Something like "Natures Miracle" will.

Is he drinking more that he was prior? Is he on a regular schedule to go out and do you reinforce him when he does pee outdoors?
    Sharon

Remi is offline Member

Yes, I clean up the messes right away with Nature's Miracle with Citrus. He doesn't necessarily piddle in the same place...the best way I can describe it is that it literally looks like he just started walking around and dribbled all over the place. It's a little trail through the house.

He's not drinking more than usual...but I have always been amazed at how much he drinks...I'd say about 6 to 8 cups a day. We usually fill his bowl twice a day, but there have been days where we've had to fill it a third time. Sometimes he will literally lay down in front of his bowl and just drink and drink. He's on a potty schedule 5:30a. 6:30a, 3-3:30p (on days that I work), 7p and 10p. He's never had a problem before and we've never had problems with him having accidents during the day in his crate when I'm at work. This morning's incident just blew me away because he piddle so much in the house and still had more to go when he went out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sure sounds like a UTI or something causing similar behaviors to me.

Are you within driving distance of a University's School/College of Vet Medicine? They'd be able to diagnose it better than a local vet.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Remi
    Yes, I clean up the messes right away with Nature's Miracle with Citrus. He doesn't necessarily piddle in the same place...the best way I can describe it is that it literally looks like he just started walking around and dribbled all over the place. It's a little trail through the house.

He's not drinking more than usual...but I have always been amazed at how much he drinks...I'd say about 6 to 8 cups a day. We usually fill his bowl twice a day, but there have been days where we've had to fill it a third time. Sometimes he will literally lay down in front of his bowl and just drink and drink. He's on a potty schedule 5:30a. 6:30a, 3-3:30p (on days that I work), 7p and 10p. He's never had a problem before and we've never had problems with him having accidents during the day in his crate when I'm at work. This morning's incident just blew me away because he piddle so much in the house and still had more to go when he went out!
    Mmmm- did they check his blood sugar at the vet? And his thyroid?
    Sharon

Indymom is offline Member

What about getting him checked for something that's NOT a UTI...like a kidney/bladder stone or some other thing like that?

Good luck! I know it's frustrating! Poor guy, he probably doesn't know what's wrong either....

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds like youre giving him more freedom than he's ready for. When you can't supervise, crate.

How old is he?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Remi is offline Member

Sounds like youre giving him more freedom than he's ready for. When you can't supervise, crate.

How old is he?
    He just turned 6 months old about two weeks ago.

What about getting him checked for something that's NOT a UTI...like a kidney/bladder stone or some other thing like that?
    Mmmm- did they check his blood sugar at the vet? And his thyroid?
    Would these things come and go (so-to-speak)? Today Remi came to work with me and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. He didn't have any problems holding it and didn't drink water like it was going to disappear forever. We got home, my SO took him out, he peed and pooped like usual. Don't you know about an hour later he was at the door giving the sign that he needed to go out. I took him out and he peed and then came back inside and gulped down half a bowl of water.

Are you within driving distance of a University's School/College of Vet Medicine? They'd be able to diagnose it better than a local vet.
    I think the closest school is Tuft's but I could be wrong. UCONN might also have a program but I don't think so...something to look into though.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think your closest school is Tuft's but I could be wrong. UConn might also have a program but I don't think so...something to look into though.
    This link gives all the USA/Canadian Schls/Collgs of VetMed plus admission policies:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetnet.html

It doesn't list UConn as having a VetMed program.

In the Northeastern USA, Tufts (MA), Cornell (upstate NY), and UPenn (Phila) look like the closest to you -- they are also 3 of the most highly regarded programs in the world.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would definitely get him checked for a UTI. Baloo had similar problems, he would walk around peeing and seemed like he didn't even realize he was doing it. Then he'd be totally fine, and then do it again. I was totally frustrated until I had his urine checked and sure enough, UTI AND crystals.

You're regular vet can run a quick urine sample easily, shouldn't be expensive, just call and ask if you can drop one off.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast