Is it ok.............

Thread: Is it ok.............

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs it ok.............

and by ok I mean normal. That when training outside Bogey after two OB classes and alot of work still does not have a 100% recall? We still work daily. And most of the time hes good. He likes training he has fun training. But when there is a bigger and better thing (smell, butterfly :whatever: ) hes off.

I do use a long line still, but rarely use it. And I have been adding alot of distraction with Calli being out with us. That doesnt seem to phase him in the least.

He does come back once I get his attention. And I dont wear out the command by yelling "come" constantly either. One time then I go and get him (if he is not already on his way back).

I should add hes 18 months. I would say on average his recall is 75%. Which is good, dont get me wrong. But shouldnt it be better?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it ok.............

Try the "really reliable recall". I read about it on here, tried it out and wow, what a difference. I was surprised by what a difference it made. :surprise:

It's pretty simple, you basically have lots and lots of small treats, call the dog to you and when they come, play pez dispenser, praise and treat for at LEAST 30 seconds (doesn't seem like that long, but it really is! Makes you realize what a short" reward you've been giving).

It literally increased Peanut's recall ten-fold. I can call her off most anything now, don't even need to use a leash at class anymore, because she'll turn on a dime and come charging back as soon as I say "come". Her recall probably went from ~40-50% up to around 95%. YES!!

It's helped Baloo a ton, too, but Peanut was definitely the most drastic change.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

A 100% recall doesn't exist - believe me! a 75% recall is much better than what most dogs have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

after 2 classes i would say you are doing well to have 75%, don't get frustrated, dogs learn by repetition and keep practicing. The idea of many small treats is good too. I call it a jackpot!!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie is the same.... distractions? i have no hope!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

We worked on ours by taking her out in a field, walking with one while the other wanders off about 60 yards away. The "far" human commands "here" and the dog comes, gets a big fuss and maybe a treat. Then a bit later, the other human calls "here" and repeat. Do this for 5 minutes a night for a week or so. It REALLY helped getting our dog's recall solid enough to CC to "here."
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Good to know! Im so glad its not all for nothing then. I really felt like ,wow we just keep working and your still ignoring me?! But I will keep at it. Thanks for the advice!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    We worked on ours by taking her out in a field, walking with one while the other wanders off about 60 yards away. The "far" human commands "here" and the dog comes, gets a big fuss and maybe a treat. Then a bit later, the other human calls "here" and repeat. Do this for 5 minutes a night for a week or so. It REALLY helped getting our dog's recall solid enough to CC to "here."
    We do that too on the trails we hike - Jake loves it!!

I can also say that when we were initially working on recalls (probably the first two years of his life), I always had him on a long line, so he never learned that "come" could be an optional command. We were very careful not to say "come" unless we were sure we could enforce it *and* give lots of treats when it was followed. We'll use the same method with the next puppy, as we've been very happy with this method so far

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We have dogs, not machines. And training will continue for the rest of your relationship with your dog. Even with all the training I did with Hudler, he wasn't reliable off leash until he was about 4 years old.

And at 8 months, Jack's recall is about 80%, except when that clump of dirt or leaf distracts him.

Maddy knows sit like the back of her paw, and in obedience competitions she has decided to stand up after I told her sit, ruining our entire trial.

Keep on training, have fun with your dog, and don't stress the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    and by ok I mean normal. That when training outside Bogey after two OB classes and alot of work still does not have a 100% recall? We still work daily. And most of the time hes good. He likes training he has fun training. But when there is a bigger and better thing (smell, butterfly :whatever: ) hes off.

I do use a long line still, but rarely use it. And I have been adding alot of distraction with Calli being out with us. That doesnt seem to phase him in the least.

He does come back once I get his attention. And I dont wear out the command by yelling "come" constantly either. One time then I go and get him (if he is not already on his way back).

I should add hes 18 months. I would say on average his recall is 75%. Which is good, dont get me wrong. But shouldnt it be better?
    I want to add something that might get some peoples backs up, but things have improved tremendously for us since I've started this. You can decide whether you want to pay any attention to it.

Essentially, you need to make sure that you don't give your dog free love. Don't just walk over to him and start cuddling him, make him come to you. Also, don't ever give in and stroke him when he comes to you and nudges you, or even if he comes to you and lies down at your feet. You always have to call him over and initiate the contact. If you do this, he knows that he can't get love whenever he wants, so when you call, he comes because he wants his love.

I know this sounds mean, but that's the way things work in dog packs and he'll understand it.

This info comes from a dog behaviouralist who has extensive experience with Labradors and Golden retrievers (She's been helping retriever owners for over 30 years), so I know it is true.
    [size=12pt]Discover whether you're making these common Labrador Training mistakes-Just Click here and tell me your biggest question[/size]