separation anxiety ---sort of? What do i do for next time?

Thread: separation anxiety ---sort of? What do i do for next time?

Momof3Labs is offline Senior Member

Defaultseparation anxiety ---sort of? What do i do for next time?

My DH is gone overnight no big deal to any of our pups.

Rogue & Mac are 5 and used to us coming and going and occasional once a year or so only one of us will be home.

Rebel just turned a year in Sept and I had never been away his whole life with us. He has boarded well when we both go on vacation, is fine in the kennel when we go to work. So when I went for a scrapbooking weekend with a girlfriend last weekend, neither DH or I thought he would have any problems.

Wrong! He was fine until bedtime came. Then he pitched a total fit. Did a lot of howling and yodeling to the point that he got Rogue & Mac all riled up. He only quit when DH finally yelled at all of them and got him to come to bed. That was the first night....he thought should be ok the 2nd night, now that he has experienced me gone....wrong he did it again the next night.

I guess we didn't realize how much he has bonded to me. He does sleep along my body in bed and has always slept with me since he was first with us. Now I am worried that he is always going to have trouble when I am gone and DH is home. I am planning to visit my sister next year for a few days before DH can join me.

Any ideas of what I can do to work with him between now and then to help him out?

And yes, I do know my actions brought this on myself....I just want to do better by him, by correcting it.

"Family and friends welcome. Fleas are not. Are you a flea?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_eastcoastmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: separation anxiety ---sort of? What do i do for next time?

You could try no more dog sleeping in the bed with you. He needs to be independant and go-with-the-flow, so to speak. Maybe he can sleep on the floor next to you? Ideally, he shouldn't be insecure, and be able to sleep just about anywhere. When we got Angus as a pup, we had him sleep in his crate on the main level for months, to set it up as the norm for him. Now, at 2, he usually sleeps next to our bed, on his dog bed, but he sleeps in his crate also with no complaints. I've sent him to my sister and to a friends when we've been away, and he's been just fine without us.
    I would think you can re-train him now, while you are home with him to sleep in his crate or on the floor, so that by the time you go away, it's not an issue. Good luck.
    "Find out who you are and do it on purpose."

Momof3Labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: separation anxiety ---sort of? What do i do for next time?

Yep, I was afraid that was gonna have to be the solution. We will have to give it a try.
    "Family and friends welcome. Fleas are not. Are you a flea?"