Parker the Precocious

Thread: Parker the Precocious

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultParker the Precocious

I am having such a problem with Parker, can anyone help. He is now 15 months old and is as cute as he can be...however, he is not so well behaved. I'm not interested in having him do fancy stuff, just want him to behave. The worst bad habit he has is getting into everything. He is a terrible counter surfer. Nothing is high enough for him. Like my husband says, I think we need to hang things from the ceiling. I'll admit a lot of stuff he gets into is because my DH and DD refuse to put stuff up so he can't get it so that is no one's fault but their's and mine for not being able to get through to them. Last week he got into a huge box of Oreos (from Sam's) and of course ate every one. That caused some yuck poops but he seemed okay after that. He gets into plastic bags, boxes, anything and everything. Is there anything that can discourage him from getting up on the counter, the dresser, the nightstand, the desk, etc. Is it to late to try a long rope and just pulling him off and saying, "down" or something like that. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Parker the Precocious

With my first Lab, Bess, NOTHING EVER worked except putting things away. Even if they only get a payoff once every 15 or so times, it becomes as addictive to them as pulling slot machine handles to some people.

I think it'll be easier to retrain DH and DD ----- although that'll be far from easy.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Parker the Precocious

We are lucky not to have this problem. We left our 7 month old home alone, uncrated for most of the day yesterday. I don't know what to tell you but I feel for you. I think a lot of it depends on the individual dog.