Please...advice regarding first heat and going for walks...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please...advice regarding first heat and going for walks...

YellowFurBaby is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease...advice regarding first heat and going for walks...

Abbey is 9.5mths old and today is her first day of bleeding. Her girly-bits had shown signs of swelling, so I've been wiping her daily to really keep tabs on her. Yesterday her discharge was yellowish, today dark brown/red. We are waiting until she is fully mature before spaying.

My question is, when do I stop taking her out for walks around town? I'm really afraid of being bombarded by males and would like to avoid going for walks altogether during the time she is most fertile. Starting today, she is leashed at all times when outside.

I feel excited because it's her "growing up," but at the same time I'm nervous as hell. My number one agenda is to avoid any "accidents."
    ~~Lisa and Abbey 1/13/08<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please...advice regarding first heat and going for walks...

I'd cut off all walks around town for the next 3-4 wks. Do you have a fenced yard that she can safely play in?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I'd cut off all walks around town for the next 3-4 wks. Do you have a fenced yard that she can safely play in?
    We don't have a fenced in yard. Would it be safe to have her on a long lead while outside playing with her? I'm just trying to figure out how to safely exercise her during this time. She's going to go crazy if, for 4wks, she can't go outside and run off some steam.

Also, does a female's demeanor change after going through a first heat? Will it make her calm down a bit, or will she still be a 9.5mth old, boisterous puppy?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Its perfectly fine to play with her on a long line in your yard! Just keep her away from dogs you don't know or intact dogs you do. You also might think about getting in an obedience class. Most training centers don't mind bitches in heat coming as long as you have panties/pants on them, but as ahead of time. The mental exercise is just as good as the physical! She might get a little clingy while she's in season, but she'll return to her normal self when it's over...it didn't calm either of my girls down one bit.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

sarah is offline Senior Member

As the owner of a lab female who just finished her first heat I can offer you this advice.

Milly started bleeding on 29th Sept. and we haven't walked her in our neighbourhood since then. We'll start walking her again on 29th Oct. so only 4 more days to go (yay) We have a fenced yard, so lots of fetch and chasing etc.. I was lucky enough to find a walking track at our local rowing center (used for the Sydney 2000 Olympics) and I got up most morning at 5.30am and took Milly for a walk around there (approx. 5kms) but I made sure we did it very early during the morning and we never once accounted another dog the whole time.

There were a few days where walking wasn't feasible and she was very demanding of attention on those days. She was very smelly (at about the time you're at now - first 1 -4 days of cycle) and so miserable for about 1 week.

The swelling has just started for your girl... at the start of week 2 Milly was so SO swollen it looked uncomfortable. She was clingy and needy and miserable that week too (sound like most females at that time hey!) and I bought her disposable nappies from the grocery store that are sold for older women with incontinence. They worked GREAT (did buy her a doggy one but she hated it and the incontinence nappies stayed on better)

Don't walk her like previously mentioned by JackAndLabs, it's far too risky unless you know of somewhere safe and fairly secure that you can go to at a time of the day where you can be sure there are no off leash animals around.

At the start of week 3 swelling started going down, bleeding was far more decreased and Milly started to get back to her normal self. Now at the end of week 4 she's back to normal and I've seen no permanent changes to her temperament or personality. Am curious to see if spaying her changes that though! We won't be spaying her for about 2 months to ensure all her girly bits are ready and right to be removed from the vet as I have read that early spaying after heat cycle can cause incontinence.

Hope this helps
    cheers, Sarah

Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

patm is offline Senior Member

My advice is to NOT use a retractible leash. I was walking my girl on one when she was in heat and the neighbors dog ran towards us (we live in the country, neighbors dog runs lose). I was commanding him to stay back when Emilu started to run toward him. She hit the end of it and it broke! Luckily nothing happened in the 2 seconds it took me to get to her (wasn't her prime time anyways, but still), but just don't trust them. I think you would be fine walking her on a leash, just keep her close and keep an eye on her all the time - especially if you see other dogs. You could play with her on a long leash in your yard, but I'm telling you - keep an eye out at all times if there are dogs loose in your neighborhood.

Thank you all for the great advice! *whew* I feel somewhat relieved in knowing what to expect with my girl over the next little while.

Sarah....your rundown is priceless, thank you!!

One more question...Abbey still isn't "dripping," if you KWIM. Will this get heavier, or do some dogs barely leak? LOL

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowFurBaby
    Thank you all for the great advice! *whew* I feel somewhat relieved in knowing what to expect with my girl over the next little while.

One more question...Abbey still isn't "dripping," if you KWIM. Will this get heavier, or do some dogs barely leak? LOL
    I think it varies from dog to dog but for the first few days we didnt notice much at all but when it really started... it REALLY started...
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think the walking issue also depends on where you live, what kind of dogs are in your neighborhood etc. We are in a subdivision with lots of walking room. The times Grace has been in heat, we have never noticed any "amorous" dogs around, even when she is outside in our secured 1/2 acre backyard. So for her, we did take her on walks. I don't know when our neighbors walk their dogs, but they are never out when I am, so I was able to continue walking her for 2 weeks into her cycle. I do know we have several intact boys in the neighborhood and never had them even bother us when we walked by the fence.

If you are unsure of where you live, I would be safe and keep her on lead and do what you can to keep her close and exercise her that way.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowFurBaby

Some dogs barely bleed and others bleed like stuck pigs. Some keep themselves cleaner than others so you don't think they're dripping much. Regardless, they can all get pregnant so figure she's fertile for 4 weeks from the onset of blood.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast