Why does my dog do a behavior wrong?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does my dog do a behavior wrong?

JoelSilverman is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhy does my dog do a behavior wrong?

I wanted to start and new thread and get people's different perspectives on why they believe a dog may do a behavior wrong. The reason this is such an important topic is because once you understand, it makes the correction process much easier.
    Joel Silverman<br />www.companionsforlife.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why does my dog do a behavior wrong?

Usually they do a behavior that you feel is wrong because they don't know the correct way to behave in the OWNERS terms. When a dog misbehaves according to each individual's perspective of proper behavior, 99% of the time it is because the owner failed in correctly training the dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Frankie's got one that he does all the time. It's called spite! When I won't lift him up on the bed, he'll either paw at the already ripped mattress or he'll start chewing on the knobs on my bedstand.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

They do it "wrong" because they don't understand what's being asked of them. Either it wasn't taught properly or it hasn't been proofed enough.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Ditto - dogs do "wrong" (according to the human) because they don't know what WE the human want them to do. They also are not robots that can easily be "programmed" to behave in an exact way forever.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Or the dog is stressed and/or reacting to the handler's stress (right Sophie? Sophie? leave the ring crew alone, Sophie! )

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

Dogs don't generalize quickly, humans generalize very quickly and very well, this leads to the human's faulty expectations and "underteaching". Example: Joe Trainer is teaching Fido the duck dog 3 handed casting in his favorite training spot for a week. Fido seems to get it pretty quick. Joe thinks Fido now knows "right over" means go run to the right, "left over" means go left, and "back" means turn and run away from the handler. Fido, on the other hand, thinks "right over" means run towards the tree to a visible pile of bumpers, "left over" means run towards the shed and a visible pile of bumpers, and "back" means run to the fence to a visible pile of bumpers. Fido does not do so well when Joe takes him to a new place where there is no familiar tree, shed and fence to serve as reference points for Fido. Joe thinks Fido is giving him the "paw" when Fido is simply confused.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    Dogs don't generalize quickly, humans generalize very quickly and very well, this leads to the human's faulty expectations and "underteaching". Example: Joe Trainer is teaching Fido the duck dog 3 handed casting in his favorite training spot for a week. Fido seems to get it pretty quick. Joe thinks Fido now knows "right over" means go run to the right, "left over" means go left, and "back" means turn and run away from the handler. Fido, on the other hand, thinks "right over" means run towards the tree to a visible pile of bumpers, "left over" means run towards the shed and a visible pile of bumpers, and "back" means run to the fence to a visible pile of bumpers. Fido does not do so well when Joe takes him to a new place where there is no familiar tree, shed and fence to serve as reference points for Fido. Joe thinks Fido is giving him the "paw" when Fido is simply confused.
    Ahhh. That puts things in perspective. Thanks! Several things make more sense now. You explained that very well.

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

GulfCoast's description is EXCELLENT -- he described VERY well probably the most common problem between the human trainer and the Lab to be trained. His description EXACTLY fits what I encountered with my first Lab.

You can also ramp that up a bit.

Dogs "think" or "understand" quite differently than humans do.

What we think, what we intend, is NOT necessarily the way our dog thinks, understands, or interprets.

And dogs differ one from the other.

My first Lab, Bess, was EXREMELY motivated to retrieve.

As GC explained, I quickly learned that MY R or L did NOT correspond to Bess' view of the world -- hers was toward the big tree, or towards the pond, or towards home, or some other feature.

But for Bess, ANYTHING that facilitated her getting to the retrieving object faster was more quickly learned. SO, she VERY quckly learned to follow my comands (arm signals, whistles) to move R or L, away or closer, to get the object of the retrieve.

My second Lab, Puff, does not have that strong a retrieving motivation BUT she has a VERY strong nose, (much more sensitive than Bess's was).

Puff's preference is to rely on her "nose" which -- often (in tall grass) -- is more reliable than my direction to the object to be retrieved.

When there's a problem in your dog learning that which you're attempting to train, I think it's best to analyze how you're trying to train, try to understand what your dog is doing, and then reconstruct a training method that deals with that.

While Bess learned to turn L or R, go farther out or back towards me, in a span of a few weeks, Puff is now 7 y.o. and daily I've been trying to teach consistent responses without much success.

But lately, I've been trying to be more understanding of Puff's perspective, strengths and weaknesses.

Puff has amazingly keen hearing.

I put a towel over Puff's head so she can't see where the TD (training dummy) I sling lands.

Then, after slinging it, I take off the towel and send her out to fetch it.

About 80% of the time, she unerringly goes in the right direction to get the TD.

But, occasionally, it lands softly and she did not hear its landing "thunk"

THEN my commands to turn R or L, go farther out or come back, have MUCH more meaning to her and she's beginning to show more trust in them.

And her training at last shows some progress.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    They do it "wrong" because they don't understand what's being asked of them. Either it wasn't taught properly or it hasn't been proofed enough.
    Ditto!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast