Joel's Tip on Teaching Your Dog to Stay
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel's Tip on Teaching Your Dog to Stay

JoelSilverman is offline Junior Member

DefaultJoel's Tip on Teaching Your Dog to Stay

I am going to start giving you a tip each week: Here is a great tip on teaching your dog to STAY:

One thing that I tell people though is this. When you are teaching your dog to Stay and Come, remember that they are two totally separate behaviors. When you are training your dog to STAY remember to walk to your dog and reward him where he is STAYING. Many people make the mistake of calling their dog to them before rewarding him. If you think about it from your dog's point of view, he really has no reason to STAY, because the reward is for coming to the trainer. That is the COME behavior. So the tip is when you are happy with your dog STAYING, walk to your dog and reward him. This way he understands all he has to do is STAY in one place.
    Joel Silverman<br />www.companionsforlife.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Joel's Tip on Teaching Your Dog to Stay

Oh, I know who you are! Back when I had AP I did watch your show. You drive that big red Caddy, right?

What possessed you to drop by this board?
    Sharon

I am just reaching out to help people. I just launched this free ONLINE DOG TRAINING website too!! But I am here to answer questions you may have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Joel, that explains why it was so easy to teach "stay" to Macy! Thank you for explaining that way.

When I feed the 3 dogs, they have to sit. Macy and Tucker eat in the kitchen and Frankie eats in the other room in his crate. I make Macy sit and stay in the kitchen while I carry Frankie's food to the crate. I'll come back into the kitchen and she's still as a statue, sitting in the same spot where I left her. THen I praise "GOOD STAY!" and she gets her food. I guess she's seeing the food as a reward for staying?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Here is another tip along the way.

We all know that most dogs want to COME to us naturally. So a great suggestion might be to have your dog COME to you one time for every three times the dog is STAYING. Think about this from your dog's point of view. This way he is rewarded more often for STAYING, and this will build up the STAY.

Also, once these two behaviors are trained, try to stay as unpredictable as you can, so the dog never knows whether you are going to walk to him, or call him to you.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Thanks for coming to our forum! I watched your show for a long time before I got my lab. I learned a lot from you.

I've found that stay is best backed up by holding out your hand like a stop sign as the command is given.

This is because dogs are are more physical then they are mental so physically holding up your hand makes what you're asking for a no brainer to associate the word.

IMO after the dog understands the command, if they follow through consistently or not is directly related to the respect they show to your authority.
    A few corrections and they should be good to go, if you're still having issues after they understand the command, you need to figure out where you're making leadership mistakes cause they don't yet see you as their leader.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckylabLizzie
    I've found that stay is best backed up by holding out your hand like a stop sign as the command is given.

This is because dogs are are more physical then they are mental so physically holding up your hand makes what you're asking for a no brainer to associate the word.
    I think you mean they learn and communicate more visually than verbally.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckylabLizzie

I think you mean they learn and communicate more visually than verbally.
    yes.

Holding your had out represents a physical projection, you are using your body to basically tell them what you expect from them.
    Speaking holds no physical projection so at that point it's all mental.

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

Corrections are never neccessary, if your dogs doesn't perform the command at teh first request it is because he is unsure of what you wnat him to do. Which means he needs guidance and this should be in the form of asisting him to get the behaviour right and giving him rewards and praise. correction only teach the dog to try to avoid the punishment, however rewards and praise make the dog WANT to perform the behaviour.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can&#39;t eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast