Jumping when excited

Thread: Jumping when excited

awhitten is offline Junior Member

DefaultJumping when excited

Was curious if anyone has a method for teaching and preventing jumping. Shelby only does it when she's excited but I'm nervous that she'll do it to some kid when she's excited and that can't end good. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping when excited

(1) Enroll in a basic obedience class. It helps you learn techniques
    (2) See (1)
    (3) Any time the dog jumps at you or anyone else, EVERYTIME NO EXCEPTIONS, turn your back and ignore the dog until it settles down. Everyone in the household has to do the same thing, and request anyone you meet outside to do the same. They really learn this lesson pretty quickly. It is also a good time to work on the sit command and when the dog sits give a treat. I gave a treat if she didn't jump on a stranger. But remember, turn back and ignore if the dog even hints at a jump and do not recognize the dogs presence until it settles down.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

awhitten is offline Junior Member

We have already been through basic obedience. She did well and we mastered a lot of techniques. In fact, we walked around the neighborhood with no leash and she did great. When it comes to playing though, she can get aggressive and is still learning what is too much and the jumping piece is part of that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Teach/Train OFF. ((See Our Best Advice Sticky))

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

behavior issues that are caused by excitement don't have any quick fixes that don't require restraining the dog (with leash). you can either work on making the event less exciting and or work on conditioning the dog to use self control. training for self control is always a good idea in any case, but it takes time. or you could simply be sure to have proper restraint for the dog, ie on leash, when their behavior is uncontrollable/unpredictable.

usually, you can make events less exciting by exposing your dog to that event many, many times. when something becomes commonplace, it's no longer so exciting. combine that will training for a solid Sit, and you have a winning combination. if you could train your dog to Sit in any and all situations, places, and distractions, you wouldn't have to worry about jumping or any other unwanted behavior, because your dog would simply be doing what you've requested, which would be Sitting.

when training for any behavior that you want to make reliable, you must repeat the training in varying degrees of distractions and in different places. try to set the dog up to succeed, making each new goal as achievable as possible before raising your expectations to reach the next goal.

http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/appendix_b.html
    http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/bemod_relax.html

here are a couple of articles for teaching self control and relaxation skills.

KAREN OVERALL'S BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION PROGRAM
    Protocol for Relaxation

"This program is the foundation for all other behavior modification
    programs. Its purpose is to teach the dog to sit and stay while
    relaxing in a variety of circumstances..."

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

As soon as they jump up, jam your fingers into their neck and say "ah ah ah".

Before you know it two things will happen:

You'll start to see the signs and know when to give your "ah ah ah" BEFORE they jump

or

Your dog will catch on and understand within a few days what you're asking of it and it won't jump anymore, if its still happening after a few days, you have leadership/respect issues going on that will need to be addressed.

I just took in a dog for a few weeks and it hasn't jumped up one time since showing her what I expected.

archieandus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckylabLizzie

You'll start to see the signs and know when to give your "ah ah ah" BEFORE they jump

or

Your dog will catch on and understand within a few days what you're asking of it and it won't jump anymore, if its still happening after a few days, you have leadership/respect issues going on that will need to be addressed.

I just took in a dog for a few weeks and it hasn't jumped up one time since showing her what I expected.
    I was able to teach Archie, who is turning 7 months, not to jump on my 2-year-old, but he continues to jump on me. He will jump on my husband, too. I can't believe he "respects" our son more, but I think our immediate and quick reactions taught him not to jump on our son. I'm not sure jamming our fingers in his neck will be effective. Usually when we've tried anything aggressive it backfires. I've tried the ignoring tactic, but he will then proceed to jumping on my back. I really want to get a handle on this behavior, because he jumped up on some other humans at the dog park recently. He's getting way too big and it's potentially dangerous.

Any ideas for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Archienus
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckylabLizzie

or

I was able to teach Archie, who is turning 7 months, not to jump on my 2-year-old, but he continues to jump on me. He will jump on my husband, too. I can't believe he "respects" our son more, but I think our immediate and quick reactions taught him not to jump on our son. I'm not sure jamming our fingers in his neck will be effective. Usually when we've tried anything aggressive it backfires. I've tried the ignoring tactic, but he will then proceed to jumping on my back. I really want to get a handle on this behavior, because he jumped up on some other humans at the dog park recently. He's getting way too big and it's potentially dangerous.

Any ideas for us?
    In my opinion you've answered your own question.

With your son, you had the mindset "this dog cannot jump on my son" he 2 years old and it was a very serious thing for you. You projected the energy of "you will not jump on my son" when you corrected the dog and you stuck with it.

You obviously are not projecting the same sense of urgency and energy for the jumps on you and your significant other and/or you don't have the same consistancy with your corrections.

The example of your son should be your broilerplate on how you need to deal with ANY unwanted behavior.
    I correct my dog with the same energy and urgency no matter how big or small the situation is, this creates an easy line of communication between human leader and dogs. It could be running across the street or taking a toy from a littermate, doesn't matter, same energy same sense of urgency.

Another thing I've found is who and what a dog will be by default the rest of his life is learned/experienced within the first 4-5 months.

That means if you trained your dog to stay off your kid during this time(4-5months), its ingrained in your dogs head and that's the default behavior.

This is why when I give my opinion on training, I tell people not to waste time on "new school" training methods that are more suited to 3-5 year old humans. Stick to the "out dated" methods so you can focus more on sculpting your dogs behavior then trying to "be nice" to them when they're giving unwanted behaviors, the first 4-5 months are just too important to waste any time.

Just my opinion.

archieandus is offline Member

Thank you! I think you hit the nail on the head on that one. We were VERY strict regarding him jumping on our child, but not nearly as strict when it came to us. I hope we can still get it through his head, though. He's got to be at least close to 60lbs now, so it's an ongoing issue. I think it's time to "catch him being good" and use some treats when he doesn't jump. Perhaps teaching him "down" in the process. He knew to sit when he was just 2 months old, so I have faith he can get it.

Thanks! You gave me some insight about our parenting our son as well. <sigh> we need to be more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Archienus
    Thank you! I think you hit the nail on the head on that one. We were VERY strict regarding him jumping on our child, but not nearly as strict when it came to us. I hope we can still get it through his head, though. He's got to be at least close to 60lbs now, so it's an ongoing issue. I think it's time to "catch him being good" and use some treats when he doesn't jump. Perhaps teaching him "down" in the process. He knew to sit when he was just 2 months old, so I have faith he can get it.

Thanks! You gave me some insight about our parenting our son as well. <sigh> we need to be more consistent.
    IMO you contradicted yourself. The first part of your paragraph projected one thing and the second part of the paragraph projected another.

I wish you luck.