How to keep OFF the sofa?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep OFF the sofa?

ksweber is offline Member

DefaultHow to keep OFF the sofa?

We would prefer to keep our sofa and our bed dog-free. When Maisy (4 mos) jumps on the sofa or bed, we say "Off!" and after she hops off "Good girl!" and sometimes a treat. I think she knows now that sofa/bed is a no-no, and she does it to get attention, like when I'm on the phone. How do we teacher her never to get ON the sofa, rather than to get off when we find her and say "OFF." FYI, when we're not home to supervise, she's crated, but when we're home and she's free is when it's happening. We've tried shake can, but she takes almost no notice - she is not skittish about loud noises. Someone suggested mousetraps - how to do safely? Other suggestions/success stories? Thanks!!
    Meet Maisy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Sound slike your doing the right thing just keep removing her as soon as she does it. If you on the phone etc try keeping her out that area while your talking

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by ksweber View Post
    Someone suggested mousetraps - how to do safely?
    Umm NO! God knows what injury you could cause the dog or the long term psychological effects.

I don't have any tips re how to keep her off. I have a policy of my dogs sleep where they like whether that be the couch or the bed. If I want the couch & it's full of dogs, too bad. I either go to another chair or sit on the floor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If she were mine, she would be allowed on the couch and bed, but she is not mine. I think you are doing the right thing, except for the treats sometimes. She will learn to get on the couch so that she gets a treat when you tell her to get down.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

It never worked at our house...we are too soft

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I went through this for 13 years with my Bess, finding that the ONLY way to prevent her from jumping up on the sofa was to distribute barriers (chairs) along its length.

With Bess, whenever I left our car, she moved into my place, position, and resisted being moved out of it.

With Puff, she also --almost automatically -- positions herself in the place I recently just vacated.

I've NOT seen this mentioned in any of the 20+ dog behavior books I have BUTmy observance and interpretation of dog behavior leads me to the premise that when dogs acknowledge YOU as the alpha, whenever YOU depart the scene, they will take over, fill in that position. THAT means jumping up to occupy the position and places YOu usually occupy.

Much of this/my belief is based on my observing that whenever Puff sees me coming back to our car and she's in my seat (as usual), she quickly moves to the passenger seat.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ksweber is offline Member

Thanks Bob - interesting observation. I don't want to make a federal case of no-dog-on-sofa in our house, but if there's a relatively simple fix, I'd prefer to have that be the house rule. Don't worry - not planning on mouse traps! :-)
    Meet Maisy!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had a problem with my Dutch Shepherd constantly getting up on the dining room table - simply done in one standing jump - because it afforded her a much better view of the neighborhood. She would do this when no one was home or when no one was in the area to see her. This was a rescued dog who could not be crated (long story I won't bore you with).

The way I got her to finally stop was to buy a Scat Mat (Drs. Foster and Smith sell these). Its a clear plastic mat with a battery which gives off a minor static electric charge when touched. Worked like a charm! I subsequently used it on the couch for another dog (when I still cared about keeping the couch new) and it also worked.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy clear plastic carpet runners very inexpensively. The back of the runner has little plastic spikes to dig into the carpet and help keep them in place. Cut them to size for your couch or chairs. Turn the spike side up. It is uncomfortable to lay or sit on.
    Worked like a charm for me. Jefferson never (well almost never) gets up on the couch unless invited.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

hersheygal is offline Junior Member

Don't give up, ksweber!
    That is my goal, too. Not only no furniture and no beds, but no upstairs at all! We've had him for 2 months and my cats still won't come downstairs if they know he's loose. I'm keeping the upstairs doggy-free so my cats can feel safe and comfortable.

My 18 wk old frequently gets up on the couch even though he knows he is not supposed to, AND he has a wonderfully comfy mini-couch shaped bed of his own right next to the family couch.

I've been doing the same things as you, but he still sneaks up there from time to time. In our case, he is not seeking to fill a spot just vacated.

I know it can be done, because that is how it is at my friend's house, although they do seem to have the perfect lab...knows his boundaries without any barriers, never barks, never jumps, sigh....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast