NLR - Barking

Thread: NLR - Barking

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNLR - Barking

Daughter has ~6 month old pup. She lives in Condo building. Apparently, he decides to bark for a long time when alone for the morning/afternoon. He does get midday visit, feed, and walk. Belief is that he hears noise in the hall or next unit and sounds off. Any suggestions on what to do to stop the barking. Shock based bark collar is out, DD won't consider it.

She already leaves radio or TV on when she leaves. I suggested turning volume up to make it harder for him to hear noise in the hallway.

Does anyone have any experience with sound emitting collar or citronella collar? Is one more likely to work that the other?

Any other suggestions?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NLR - Barking

Valley Vet http://www.valleyvet.com/ has a variety of bark training collars --I have no idea of what's more effective.

What kind of dog is it?

I think leaving the radio or TV on is a good idea. The barking may be a reaction to noises.

OTH, maybe he's bored and wants to get something going? I think increasing his amount of exercise (e.g., off leash running and fetching) could also help a lot.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Thanks Bob! I kind of know your background is in psychology, and I also don't want to offend anyone with small or mixed breed dogs. BUT....

the dog is a Cockapoo. A worthless little POS that is a complete PITA. That is what I call him, PITA!

I suspect it is a combination of stimuli, related or not.
    (1) probably a reaction to an unknown noise or something else spotted for the first time even if it has always been there. He always barks as soon as he goes through any barrier or around a corner and sees a new scene. One or two barks. I suspect to scare away the evil thing that might be there. It is really bad in the dark.
    (2) Boredom, asking for attention or play time.
    (3) Totally enthralled with the sound of his voice and the noise he can make.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Hmm, I've had no experience with Cockapoos but then again, dogs differ in so many ways from each other, it'd scarcely matter.

Ed, if your daughter can spend some time teaching him to retrieve, that (& swimming) are the best exercises I can think of to give him -- which would be a great means of handling the (2) on your list, the boredom, because dogs that are resting after exercise are rarely bored.

That and leaving the radio on tuned to a music station so that there aren't any unexpected sounds and the volume would often mask them.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748