Food quantity/meals/treats?

Thread: Food quantity/meals/treats?

ksweber is offline Member

DefaultFood quantity/meals/treats?

We're doing a lot of training with 4 month-old and using mostly kibble with the occasional hot dog or bologna bits. I want to be sure not to overfeed. Thinking of measuring her daily kibble/feed in the morning, and then using some of that amount for treats, to better keep track of total amount.

Question: What age do you switch from 3 meals/day to 2 meals? At this age, would you (a) skip lunch and use the "lunch" portion for treats; or (b) keep the lunch meal, and shave off a portion of each of the 3 meals for treat supply?

Thanks!
    Meet Maisy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucys Momma is offline Member

Welcome! Maisy is beautiful! I am not sure what the best answer is and I could be doing this wrong but Lucy is 10 weeks old and we have always fed her in the morning and then at dinner and she is doing great with that. She has a great weight and when we feed her she isn't devouring her food quickly. I have been training her with her kibble as well and I just use a small portion of what I put in her bowl. I have read that you should do that so they don't over eat. More pictures of Maisy please!!! :-)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Thinking of measuring her daily kibble/feed in the morning, and then using some of that amount for treats, to better keep track of total amount.
    Excellent thinking! That way you'll know how much your pup is eating. Professional dog trainers do this with their pups.

BTW, you can also do training at mealtime using the NiLiF method. Give a command (e.g., sit, stay, come, etc.) and, when it's obeyed, the pup gets another bite of food from your hand. (You can google Nothing in Life is Free training to get more description.)

Question: What age do you switch from 3 meals/day to 2 meals? At this age, would you (a) skip lunch and use the "lunch" portion for treats; or (b) keep the lunch meal, and shave off a portion of each of the 3 meals for treat supply?
    Giffin & Carlson, in their "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" recommend switching from 3 or 4 feedings/day to 2 at age 6 months.

If you know how much your pup is eating and needs, just divide the total amount you were giving for 3 meals into 2 portions.

I had it easy with Puff -- she's a self-regulator on most foods. Her appetite increased from 1 cup/day @ 9 wks to 5 cups/day @ 7-8 months then declined down to a mature adult 2 cups/day.

That Giffin & Carlson book is excellent and very useful; so good that I think every puppy or dog should come with one. Mine has 555+ pages and covers all major age levels, conditions, and systems. I bought the 3rd edition but a 4th has been published since then. It's only about $25 from Amazon and using it will save a great deal of worry, harm to your pet for not seeing a vet soon enough, and harm to your wallet in needlessly going. I highly recommend you get and use a copy.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Marmot is offline Member

I feed Rosie three times a day, she gets 3 3/4 cups a day total, I also take kibble out of her meal for training. She will be 12 weeks tomorrow, she weighed 20.8 lbs. at her vet visit today, he says she looks good, and to keep it up.