Crazy chasing chocolate monster

Thread: Crazy chasing chocolate monster

Jillyanthrax is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrazy chasing chocolate monster

Chewy is my little angel - of just over 5 months now. He is the first dog I have owned from puppyhood and I am worried that I might confuse behaviours that are down to adolescence with behaviours that might suggest I'm doing something in his training wrong.

Another thing I am unsure about is how much exercise a pup of this age should get. I have read in some places its 5 minutes per month of age - but 25mins just wouldn't seem enough for my boy. We usually do at least an hour every day, with some off leash time on some common land nearby most days - am I putting his joints at risk with this? When he is on leash he is excellent at walking to heel now - APART from when people /dogs/cyclists get too close. Luring him with tasty smelling treats seems to help this however he is much less likely to "ignore" the distraction (ie not jump towards them) if I just give the command leave it or heel to stay by my side, without showing him the reward. Is this puppiness that he will grow out of or is this actually something I should be working alot harder to correct?

Another thing that has bothered me this evening - while we were on the common land field he went up to one of the growing calfs and started doing play bows. The poor calf didn't know what to make of it and started running away from him - this just excited Chewy more and gave chase - and could not be recalled :'(. A similar thing happened the other day when he met 2 friendly dogs who wanted to play just as much as he did - no response at all from the recall, it was like he didn't even hear me, no twitch in his ears or anything. His recalls at home are awesome, though I know this doesn't necessarily translate into recalls elsewhere being awesome too. Does this mean I should really have him back on leash all the time? Or should I be working alot harder with recalls with disctractions at home maybe? I realise these may seem like very basic questions to some of the bonafide experts on here but I really just want to do the best for my boy and if it means looking like an idiot I don't mind

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crazy chasing chocolate monster

I have been through this and Alfie still does it no amount of training has any effect on him if he sees a rabbit or another dog he is off like a rocket, im sure alot more experienced owners can advise you further and ill be watching this thread...Good luck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Hate to sound like Captain obvious, but he's still a baby. He won't have proper recall until much later....so, if you know that he's easily distracted, keep him on a long lead (50 ft.) and practice, practice, PRACTICE. Come, Chewy! *no response* AHHHT! NO, COME CHEWY *start hauling his butt in on the lead*

By allowing him off-lead with the ability to ignore you, all you are saying to him is BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...since you have absolutely NO WAY of reinforcing your command. If you can't correct or enforce a command, you should not be giving that command. Stop setting your puppy up for failure, danger, or you just getting plain ol' pissed off. You should never allow your puppy to run up on other dogs, you don't know how they handle strange dogs, and some dogs just plain don't like puppy antics and such.

As for exercise, the 5 minute rule is for RIGOROUS exercise, and in my personal opinion, walks do not fit into the rigorous exercise...and that rule also applies to mental stimulation.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm that long lead sounds like a great idea - he gets to have the freedom to run and sniff AND I can enforce the command if/when he ignores BUT I'm sure I've never seen anything like this any ideas for suppliers in the UK? And captain obvious is my best friend lol I think I just wanted some reassurance that this is normal for a puppy this age and that I've not done something disasterously wrong

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The best "long leads" are water ski ropes. Thin, long, light, cheap and they float! Do they sell those in the UK? Just put a clip/hasp on the end and rock on!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Haha I don't think York is exactly the water-sports capital of the UK but I'm sure I can find something like that maybe on the net - thanks for the suggestion! .