How big is he going to get??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is he going to get??

Remi is offline Member

DefaultHow big is he going to get??

Just wondering. I've always heard people make reference to the size of a puppy's paws when determining how big he'll be but I've always wondered if that's an exact science or an old wive's tale. We're trying to guesstimate how big Remi is going to be and so far everyone who sees him thinks he'll be on the small side. Not that we care either way, just interested to see if anyone else has any other ways of determining other than paw size. He's 5 and a half months old now and about 35 pounds, pretty small I know. We're also not 100% sure he's pure lab, since he's a rescue there isn't much background info on him other than that his entire litter was abandoned (still blows my mind that someone could do something like that!). His foster contact had told us his litter was either full lab or what the agency refers to as PDC or "Pretty Darn Close". Regardless we don't care we love his just the same!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

leximom is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: How big is he going to get??

I'm curious about the same thing. Lexi is 14 wks and was 25 lbs last week at the vet. He kept saying she was going to be "a BIG dog". I'd be curious to know what size others were/are at Remi's age.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

35lbs at 5 1/2 months does sound on the petite side for a male, but it may be that he is just a slow developer. He looks purebred from your picture, but as you say it can be difficult to be 100% with a rescue. Obviously you'll get a better idea of whether he is purebred or not 6-12 months down the line when he has fully matured. Some breeds (particularly other retrievers, pointers, etc.) can be quite similar physcially to pet and field bred Labs, so when crossed, based on appearence they may look all Lab.

I think the paw thing is a myth. Most Lab pups have big paws and go through growth phases of looking all gangly -- long legs, big heads, pin heads, big paws, etc. They only start looking in proportion when they hit physical maturity, which is usually 18 months+.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I say the paws thing is an old wives tale. Baloo has always had big feet, and is actually small for a lab (sorta).

I agree with Trickster about the slow maturing. Baloo was a really slow grower, then hit 57 pounds and stopped for many months. (6 - 11, I think) After his first birthday he has gained over ten more pounds and is sitting at 68.5 at 18 months. So you never know.

He's CUTE though.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

The paw thing is a myth. I'm 5'9" and kinda slim tall but have size 13 feet.

My dog is getting fairly large. He's 6.5 months old and up to 58 lbs. And he's ripped too, no fat there.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also doubt the paw size thing. Several people make the same comment about Puff when she was a pup and she's matured at 63 lbs.

Also, Puff weighed about the same amount as your Remi at that age.

You can look at my post in this recent thread and see if Remi is following the same rate of gain:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,86494.0.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

elliotsmomma is offline Junior Member

I've been wondering the same thing about my dog. Elliot is about 6 months old and weighs 36.5 lbs, so pretty close to the size of Remi.
    I'm guessing that neither one of them will be very big labs; maybe 60 lbs or so??

Remi is offline Member

Some breeds (particularly other retrievers, pointers, etc.) can be quite similar physcially to pet and field bred Labs, so when crossed, based on appearence they may look all Lab.
    It's so funny you mention that because I've often wondered if he's crossed with an English pointer!!  :suspious:

You can look at my post in this recent thread and see if Remi is following the same rate of gain:
    I just weighed Remi right now (which I hate because it forces me to get on the scale first! YIKES!  :scare and he's at 33.6 pounds and he's 5 approximately 5 months 5 days...so it looks like he's a little behind where Puff was at the same age.

Thanks for weighing in (hehe...couldn't help myself there!). <-----it's Friday and I can't help myself!

MooseDog is offline Member

Sounds like my puppy Moose - he's 5 months and about 35 lbs. We know he's purebred and his dad was around 90 lbs (Mom was 75) so I think Moose is just a slow grower. Our vet didn't seem concerned, but thought he'd fill out when he's less active.
    Moose

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace's feet where HUGE as a puppy, but at adult size she is about 21" at the withers and 72#.

Her son, Jed, has HUGE feet too, but he's thin, and last I noticed I think he was getting taller than his brother, Jack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast