NOM NOM NOM NOM (help!)

Thread: NOM NOM NOM NOM (help!)

absynthe is offline Member

DefaultNOM NOM NOM NOM (help!)

Okay, I know a misbehaved pup is a pup without enough exercise, and my schedule is a bit crazy right now, so I know I'm no where near perfect there but...

Every single time I go to pet Max, he nips me! He'll wag his tail, look at me, and NIP. Then, if we're just walking side by side, he'll often jump up and nip my hand. He also likes to jump all over me and nip my hands, shoes, drawstring, pants, whatever he can...

I've tried substituting the toy whenever he does it - maybe I'm not doing it enough or I'm not consistent enough?

I don't know. In a way it's awful cute, but my sister's lab mix does the same thing - and he's 11 mos old, so he's VERY painful and VERY big. I don't want this to be Max in a few months. Her pup wasn't trained early on, and I still have the chance - he's only about 13 weeks.

Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NOM NOM NOM NOM (help!)

Are you ignoring him when he bites? Turning your back folding your arms and not making eye contact?

If this is not working and he's biting ankles or toes while you're "avoiding" him then put his leash on, tie it somewhere and play with him. When he nips squeal "oooww!" stand up, walk out of reach and fold your arms and look at the ceiling. When he settles, praise and resume playing. If he nips repeat repeat repeat.

Milly is 10 months old now and if we're playing and I feel she is being a bit rough I can say "oww" in normal tone and she backs off, sits and looks at me and waits for me to resume playtime. But that is only because of US BEING CONSISTENT!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Ah, so I really tried it this evening, I mean REALLY tried it. OOooooh it took a bit of patience, because when he couldn't get my hands, he went to my shoes to the point where I eventually tucked my feet underneath me and kept ignoring him. Eventually, he stopped, but I hadn't read this post so I didn't try the leash thing.

So far, so good. I just have to get my boyfriend to work with him the same way, he believes in smacks (not physically wounding ones, but ones hard enough to get the point across if that makes sense? I.e. never making the pup yelp, but getting the point across...I DON'T LIKE IT.). He basically tells me that this whole reinforcement thing is a load of crap and that I don't know anything because I've never owned a dog before.

Anyone want to take a stab at that so I can show him exactly what experienced dog owners do and have to say about that? It makes me a little mad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Kay, professional dogtrainer speaking:

Your boyfriend has a job? Ask him if he would do the required tasks if the boss whacked him on the head every time he walked into the office. Or does he go to work because of the paycheque and/or the enjoyment of the work?

Then tell him the next time he hits your puppy, he must leave. And make him go. No if's, and's or but's, out the door. That's abuse, it's not training, and it raises I don't know how many red flags about his personality.

In the long run, hitting your puppy is going to make him hand shy and nervous, and will more than likely INCREASE the mouthiness. You get into a dog what you put in - and if your (or your boyfriend's) interactions with the puppy is mostly physical and negative, then you're not going to have a very positive relationship with the grown dog.

Ignoring him and crossing my arms kinda works. He likes to nip at my ankles if he's hyper enough. He doesn't calm down long enough for me to praise him; he'll sit still, and as soon as I go to praise him, he'll nip at me again.

Today I played with him a lot more than I have been, and tomorrow I'll play with him even more. I'm working on tweaking my schedule so I can spend more time with him, and I'm also working on getting him a slightly older playmate. He's awful lonely sometimes, and I hate to see him that way, so I think a fellow dog would ease that a little. I know that doesn't mean it relieves me of my responsibility, quite the opposite actually, I just want Max to be as happy as possible.

Also, the boyfriend is working on this new training method with me, so good! He likes to chase the cats, but today when he started, I went 'Max, shh," and moved my pointed-up index finger out and away from my body. When he paused and let the cat go, lots of praise. We've been working on that this evening, and for whatever reason, he's starting to get it. Who knew? I'm also trying to effectively teach him "give" and "leave it"...results are interesting, and almost always require a treat.

He'll get there. He's such a precious terror. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    Ignoring him and crossing my arms kinda works. He likes to nip at my ankles if he's hyper enough. He doesn't calm down long enough for me to praise him; he'll sit still, and as soon as I go to praise him, he'll nip at me again.

Today I played with him a lot more than I have been, and tomorrow I'll play with him even more. I'm working on tweaking my schedule so I can spend more time with him, and I'm also working on getting him a slightly older playmate. He's awful lonely sometimes, and I hate to see him that way, so I think a fellow dog would ease that a little. I know that doesn't mean it relieves me of my responsibility, quite the opposite actually, I just want Max to be as happy as possible.

Also, the boyfriend is working on this new training method with me, so good! He likes to chase the cats, but today when he started, I went 'Max, shh," and moved my pointed-up index finger out and away from my body. When he paused and let the cat go, lots of praise. We've been working on that this evening, and for whatever reason, he's starting to get it. Who knew? I'm also trying to effectively teach him "give" and "leave it"...results are interesting, and almost always require a treat.

He'll get there. He's such a precious terror. Haha!
    if he is responding to treats keep giving them!! If he's biting your ankles when you ignore him tie him somewhere, and stand out of reach and ignore him. He has no choice then... if he gets too full on give him 5 minutes crate time out. Only let him out when he's quiet and behaving.

The teaching method re: your cats is great! I'm glad it's working for you.

Also, when you play with him and he's nipping you - do you have a toy between his mouth and your hands? At this age you should only interact and play with him with a toy. if he goes for your hand stop the play stand up and leave the room. Come back and play again... while he's playing with the toy lots of verbal praise, if he goes for your hand again then squeal, stand up and leave.

Sounds like a plan.

Ya know, in a way I hate to make him stop because he's too cute, buuut not only does he hurt, I know that if I don't stop him now, he'll be a screaming 75 lb. terror in some months.

That's just no bueno.

But really, could you deny this face?

Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    Sounds like a plan.

Ya know, in a way I hate to make him stop because he's too cute, buuut not only does he hurt, I know that if I don't stop him now, he'll be a screaming 75 lb. terror in some months.

That's just no bueno.

But really, could you deny this face?

I couldn't deny that face at all!! But then again I follow the rules that I will only allow my puppy to do things that I would find acceptable for her to do when she's older. So jumping on the lounge, jumping on people, biting, growling over food, taking wash off the line, tearing up furniture etc... is NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! lol... I'm strict with her and was from the get go even though I got the "oh but she's just a baby... how could you deny that face" (see pic below) BUT it's paying dividends now... she's 27kgs, 10 months old and if I had of given into her I can't imagine the horror lab I could possibly have now