Help?!?!

Thread: Help?!?!

MY BOY LOU! is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp?!?!

My chocolate boy is about 11 months and 80 pounds. I just had him fixed last week. All is well, for the most part. The vet sent him home with some oral antibiotics for the incision and for some minor skin irritation.

One thing that concerns me is that he's not eating very much since the surgery. Is this normal post-neuter? Could it be the antibiotics?

Also, on a completely different note...I've suddenly began having trouble getting him to go to his kennel. I had trained him before by putting a treat in the kennel and luring him in. Then, he would just go in on his own and I would reward him after he got in. So, I had basically had it where I said, "Kennel Up" and he'd go right in...and I'd follow with a treat. Now, he doesnt want to go in at all. He even goes as far as hiding from me. Eventually, I have to perform what I call "walky-walky" on him...physically walking him to the kennel. During this, sometimes he even makes himself go limp and I have to carry him in. I'm a big strong boy but this needs to stop. Any suggestions for re-training him on "Kennel Up"?

Thanks in advance to everyone. This forum is so helpful for a first-time lab owner such as myself!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help?!?!

Possibly the treats don't have their former value because he's not as hungry anymore? Have you noticed any decline in his appetite over the last few months? That's hard to see in some Labs because most act like they're always hungry. I'm lucky because I have one of the rare (10%) of "mutant" Labs that usually self-regulates the amount of food she eats.

If decreased appetite is the case with Lou, you might cut back the amount he's given to the point that he's allowed access to food 2X/day for 15 minutes each meal -- then take up the food. Measure the amount that's left and subtract it from the amount you put out so you know how much he's normally eating.

Of course, you could try some different, higher value treats. Maybe the ones you're using have lost their appeal for whatever reason?

Below is a part of a post I've often made:

Puff had gone from eating about a cup of food a day when she was 6 lbs at 9 weeks age to eating 5 cups/day (divided into 2 meals) at 8-9 months. Then she stopped eating for a couple days and when she did eat, she ate only part of her food.

I looked up puppy nutrition in several dog vet books, The UC-Davis "Book of Dogs" says, for instance, that when puppies are very young they need to eat about 2X the amount of food that an adult dog of that same weight would need.

BUT, as they approach maturity, that need multiplier decreases from 2X down to 1X -- with 1X meaning they need the same amount an adult dog of that weight should eat.

I measured the amount Puff did eat when she resumed eating and made available only that amount for 15 minute periods.

She ate that amount. That lasted a bit and then she stopped eating again. I decreased the amount again.

Puff finally went down to her current 2 cups/day (divided into 2 meals; but supper has green beans added).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Great insight.

He was, of course, a complete hog as a little pup. He'd eat as much as I'd give him. I have steadily decreased his portions with his decreased appetite, as you described. Currently, I put down a cup in the morning and a cup at night. However, he sometimes doesnt even eat any of it in a day. On a good day, he'll eat both cups but that's not too often. For an 80 pound dog, that seems like so little food. Certainly, he doesnt have a lack of energy without eating.

My gut feeling tells me that he's so spoiled that he's waiting for "something better". I've considered limiting his "treats", but I just dont want him to think he's not being rewarded for good behaviors.

I have to bring Lou back to the vet in 10 days for him to have the stitches removed from the neuter incision. I guess I'll have to ask the vet's opinion, although he's never been too good with training advice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Currently, I put down a cup in the morning and a cup at night. However, he sometimes doesnt even eat any of it in a day. On a good day, he'll eat both cups but that's not too often. For an 80 pound dog, that seems like so little food.
    How many kcals in the food you're feeding? Puff's 2 cups/day are 393 kcals/cup. She also gets a few treats that may add up to 50-75 more. But she gets a lot of daily exercise. I'd be inclined to try to find the amount Lou will eat in 15 minutes/meal and serve that amount.

Dogs differ a lot in their metabolism so I'm not terribly surprised that Lou is eating only 2 cups/day (depending on its kcal content). If it doesn't give the kcal/cup value on the bag, you can call their customer service # and they'll be able to tell you. Are you using standard size 8 oz. measuring cups? Those differ somewhat in their accuracy. I found the one I was using was including almost 1/8th cup more than it should.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Lou eats Purina One Large Breed Puppy. It has approximately 377 kcal/cup. I do use a standard 8 oz cup. He gets more than a few treats, so I'd venture to say he gets another 100-150 in that form.

But, some days he just eats treats, and won't even sniff his food. So, some days he only intakes 100-150 kcal/day.

Should I try some wet food in it or even a cold switch?