Need help with treat taking...the little guy takes the treat & my fingers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with treat taking...the little guy takes the treat & my fingers!

Remi is offline Member

DefaultNeed help with treat taking...the little guy takes the treat & my fingers!

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to train your dog out of taking a treat like a dog who hasn't seen a morsle of food in days? I've been trying to use the "soft" command and only giving Remi the treat when he takes it gently but he doesn't seem to be getting...my fingers can't take it anymore. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with treat taking...the little guy takes the treat & my fingers!

I suggest that you NOT hold the treat by your fingers when you're dispensing it -- instead, use the fingers of one hand to place it in the middle of the flat palm of your other hand to serve it.

That's the way I deliver treats to Puff and what I instruct children and others to do when they're giving her some food or treat.

Works great.

Try it.

Sure beats trying to swim up Niagra Falls.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with treat taking...the little guy takes the treat & my fingers!

To get Oscar to take it nicely I would hold it in my fist. I would give it to him, if he didnt take it nicely I would say "easy" until he played nice. As soon as he was good I would open my fist with the treat in my palm.
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have the same problem with Dutchy, we asked our dog trainer for advice and here is what she suggested. Quickly, and without fear shove the food right into the mouth, then pull your hand out, make sure its fast and make sure your fingers are really in the mouth, no trying to be dainty about it. Took me a few tries to get it right, but after 3 or 4 tries i no longer have the bite marks on my fingers, and i am slowly starting to teach dutchy the "nice" way to eat.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I agree with posts from Bob and Will.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

This sounds dumb, but in 40 something years of dealing with family pet dogs, and actually training a couple hunting dogs, I have an observation learned from many a fanged up finger: Hold a treat ABOVE the dog's muzzle, fingers in danger. Some kinda pounce drive, even with trained dogs. Hold the treat BELOW the muzzle level and much better chance of teaching "easy" or some command like that. You may find that "going low" helps.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    This sounds dumb, but in 40 something years of dealing with family pet dogs, and actually training a couple hunting dogs, I have an observation learned from many a fanged up finger: Hold a treat ABOVE the dog's muzzle, fingers in danger. Some kinda pounce drive, even with trained dogs. Hold the treat BELOW the muzzle level and much better chance of teaching "easy" or some command like that. You may find that "going low" helps.
    Yep - I agree - I also undid my boy's tendency to chomp down on my fingers by using very small bits of treats - I would show it to him - put my fingers right in front of his muzzle and he would really be forced to use his front teeth to get the bit - because a chomp was not going to get him anything but my hand. He is incredibly careful and gentle now.
    Sharon

Tannersmom is offline Junior Member

Perfect timing! My fingers are killing me! I have to admit I am beginning to become afraid of handing him the treat and sometimes I just throw it on the ground. This is not teaching him manners though. I just tried holding the treat low with Tanner and it worked - at least this time. I'm going to work on that this weekend. I'll try the closed fist thing too. What a great board!

Michelle

Felix is offline Senior Member

Oke, you're dog is eating you're fingers (and maybe the rest of you're arm) at the same time he get's the treat !?

It is easy to turn this in a 'thing' you want ...

Keep the treat in you're fist, and wait until the dog has slow down, and then give him the treat, trust me .. You do this a few time's and it rings seriously some bells in the dog's mind

Remi is offline Member

Thanks for all the advice!!

IT WORKED!! Since doing this Remi has not taken a finger once!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast