How long can a 16 month old puppy hold it in???

Thread: How long can a 16 month old puppy hold it in???

Allan is offline Member

DefaultHow long can a 16 month old puppy hold it in???

Hi all,

Yoyo is now 16 months old and doing great! Currently, I walk her after she eats breakfast (at around 8:30) and the dog walker takes her out at around 2 PM and then my wife walks her around 6 again. (I walk her after dinner at 8:30 as well as before bed, but that is not really relevant). Anyway, we will be moving soon and our schedule will totally change. I will still be walking Yoyo after breakfast (likely around 7:45). My wife will likely not get home from work until 7:30 or so. I guess my question is will Yoyo be able to hold it in with a dog walker coming once during the day (at around 1:30 or 2). Can a 16 month old puppy hold it on for 6 hours?

Thanks so much,
    Allan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: How long can a 16 month old puppy hold it in???

Sure, I know for a fact they can hold it for at least 12 hours at that age. Just make sure you let them out to pee and poop before you leave. My two have had the run of the house since they were 15 months old and every Sunday my wife and I are at work for 12 hours. No accidents ever. Even when we get home they are so happy to see us that they still don't ask to go outside for another hour or so. *note, I never considered my two were still "puppies" at that age, more like teenagers

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Yes, they can hold it for 12hrs if necessary, but I certainly wouldn't make them do that on a regular basis. The dog walker is a great idea! Your dog will be happy to not have to cross his legs and you'll be happy not coming home to a dog whose bouncing off the wall because he's been bored out of his mind all day!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee goes out again before I leave the house at 830am, she is fine when i get home between 6pm-7pm and does not use the bathroom right away. YoYo will be just fine, but a dog walker would be fun

Allan is offline Member

Thanks! We would never leave Yoyo 12 hours without a walk. We currently use a dog walker, but there is less of a gap between the dog walker and when my wife gets home. When we move, there will be a 6-7 hour gap. Just wanted to make sure Yoyo could hold it that long. Seems to be the consensus that that will not be a problem.

Allan