Crate Training 1 yr. old / Destroying Everything!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate Training 1 yr. old / Destroying Everything!

ALisa is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrate Training 1 yr. old / Destroying Everything!

We rescued an 11 mo. Black Lab from our neighbors, who were taking it back to the shelter because they got a new pup and the lab stepped on its toe! (Are you kidding me?) :'( I had just lost my Greater Swiss Mountain Dog to bloat, and wasn't sure I wanted a lab...but...I couldn't resist his shiney black coat and beautiful golden eyes! So we took him.

Problem #1: He pooped on the floor in the bathroom the first two nights we had him in the house all night, unattended. So, we'll pulled out the good 'ole crate and crated him in our bedroom, or my daughter's bedroom. We've been at it for 5 nights now and it has been awful! He cries and whines and has the most shrill, squeeky bark!! It lasts for about 20 minutes (or more) before he finally gives up. Two nights ago, he decided to be destructive (paybacks, obviously), and he chewed up the doggy bed that we put in the crate. Last night, he chewed up the second doggy bed. :no: It's not like I haven't given him chew toys! I gave him a kong with p.b., and a hoof with p.b. smeared on it.

Problem #2: he's destroyed everything in the yard that wasn't tacked down. We've picked everything up, but he constantly hunts for other things to tear up.

I'm thinking that more exercise would definetely help, so we'll work on that. currently, I walk him in the morning, including about 30 min of fetching. He gets a good tug-o-war match in the yard in the evenings. I'm sure he'll need more.

Help! I'm not used to so much energy!! Any suggestions will be put to good use.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate Training 1 yr. old / Destroying Everything!

I rescued Nellie when she was about 10 months old. She was destructo dog. I had never crated before but she was crated without bedding (because she shredded it) until she was 2. Then baby gated in the kitchen until 2 1/2. I did not crate her at night just closed her in my bedroom. she was fine as long as I was home. As to the yard, your pup needs tons more exercise. There is a saying "A good dog is a tired dog." He's probably destroying your yard because he's bored. Do you leave him out there alone or are you with him? A good game of fetch works wonders.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Thanks for the reply. I put Scout in the crate without the bedding tonight. He's pretty quiet already... :suspious: We'll see how it goes.

I work at home, so Scout is in the house with me most of the time, and I take frequent breaks to play with him and work on training. I'm just amazed that he rarely just lays down and chills out like my Swissy did. Of course, Swissys are pretty low energy, so I realize that difference. I just didn't know Scout would be an Energizer Bunny! I guess I need to strap on the walking shoes a few times a day!

Keep those tips coming in!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for rescuing him! He will be a great pal to you I am sure.

Consistency with the crate training will pay off - 20 minutes of complaining is really not all that much. You might try draping a sheet over the crate so that he has less visual stimulation - may make him shut down quicker.

Try freezing those kongs - this will make them last longer. Try a buster cube as well - they provide mental stimulation while the dog works to remove the treat from the cube.

He does need a whole lot more exercise than a SMD. The best thing you can do is establish a routine for him.
    Sharon

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Labs differ a lot but MOST Labs of that age need about 30-60 minutes of daily vigorous exercise.

That's not walking around the block -- that's running offleash, retrieving, swimming, etc.

Teaching him to retrieve (if he hasn't learned how yet) will be a godsend for you. Slinging a training dummy (TD) for him to fetch gives him more exercise than you. If you have water close by where he can make swimming retrieves, all the better (and less time).

Labs also need mental stimulation so please do some training along with the retrieving. (After basic retrieving is learned, try teaching waiting until given the command to fetch; learning to follow arm signals and/or voice/whistle signals to turn R or L, etc.)

Fitting your Lab's daily exercise into your schedule will also do you good. Many recent health studies have shown that people with dogs that exercise them daily are healthier than people who do not -- because of the daily exercise they get.

Learn to "read" your Lab. When they have enough daily vigorous exercise, they're docile. When they need more, often they'll pester you with entreaties of "let's do something!"

Labs also want to be close to you. Some prefer dozing with their chin on your foot. But in general, they like to be very near "their people."

Thanks very much for rescuing Scout. You'll have an interesting and rewarding experience.

+++++++++++++++++++++

TD - http://gundogsupply.com and other online sites have training dummies at a good price.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Definately more exercise, it really helps! I would suggest obedience training also ti keep his mind active.

Also dogs dont do "paybacks" they live in the moment if they find something nice to chew they will its not cos you put him in the crate 4hrs earlier..has he got toys of his own to chew?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above - it's going to take some LONG LONG walks to tire out a lab that age, you'll have to find a place he can run or play fetch (or the best - play with other dogs).

Sounds like you are coming along well with the crate training. It's a great tool, most dogs learn to love their crate. with fosters (and when I got Rocky) I always put treats (either a kong, or if i'm late a handful of kibble) in their crate, and feed them there (door open) so that it is associated with good things. It has gotten to where Rocky goes to his crate before I'm ready to leave in the morning in anticipation of his Kong.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks for the great replies. Scout was quiet in his crate last night, but something else happened. When my husband went in to let him out (he was crated in our daughter's room - makes her feel safe) it looked like he had thrown up in the crate. It was brown, slimy stuff that was mostly dried. What could that be!?! He seems to be fine today.

Like I said in earlier post, I had given him a kong and a hoof with peanut butter...maybe it was too much?

Remi is offline Member

Kudos to you for rescueing!!

We have a 5 month old Lab that we rescued as well. The first few nights in his new home were tough for Remi. He absolutely despised his crate, he would cry, howl, bark, jump up and smack his head on the top. It was so hard on all of us. Using a lot of the advice on got from other members on the site, we started from scratch. I would put super yummy treats in his crate, sometimes I would toss them in there when he was watching, others times I would hide treats in his crate for him to find later in the day. We would have Remi go into his crate for short periods of time throughout the day, if he was quiet he got more treats. If he wasn't we ignored him and continued whatever we were doing. We also started feeding Remi all his meals in his crate, with the door open. I cannot tell you what a difference this made! Remi went from a dog who would not go into his crate at all on his own to now regularly going in on his own for naps and when he wants/needs to feel safe (and this happened literally over a matter of a few days!!).

Good luck, it will get easier!!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ALisa
    Thanks for the great replies. Scout was quiet in his crate last night, but something else happened. When my husband went in to let him out (he was crated in our daughter's room - makes her feel safe) it looked like he had thrown up in the crate. It was brown, slimy stuff that was mostly dried. What could that be!?! He seems to be fine today.

Like I said in earlier post, I had given him a kong and a hoof with peanut butter...maybe it was too much?
    Sounds like empty stomach vomit to me. Are you feeding him twice a day? In many dogs one meal a day does not cut it and they wind up empty and nauseous late in the 24 hour period.

Sharon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast