Baby Lexi wont sleep

Thread: Baby Lexi wont sleep

snowlab-mn is offline Junior Member

DefaultBaby Lexi wont sleep

I am currently trying to upload a few pictures of baby Lexi... Anywho a bit of background... We got Lexi young as the other puppies from the litter were going to specialized training and they wanted them by 7 weeks... so now she is 11 weeks and has for the most part been doing great... Knows her name... comes and is currently sitting when getting treats and food, for the most part potty trained, and goes on command. The problem is that she does not sleep the night through. We walked and played with her for 4 hours last night and she gets let out at noon by my neighbor and does not get a long time to play 10-15 minutes. This being so she also only gets fed in the am and pm 1.5 cups of puppy chow each meal. I am wondering why she is not sleeping through the night? She will sleep from 10 to 3 and then she is waking us up every hour on the hour, and lately it has been to run around the yard. She is create trained and does have her own room away from our room. Any suggestions??? or is this normal?? My first lab was 12 weeks when we brought her home and she trained really easy... Look forward to responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Baby Lexi wont sleep

Rupert wouldn't sleep when we first brought him home. It was aggravating and we had to force ourselves to be calm and comfort him instead of yelling at him, which would just make it worse.

Our simple if not totally pleasant solution was to take turns sleeping next to his crate, sometimes putting our hand in there where he could touch it. Eventually we backed off that. He would bark but after a few minutes go to sleep.

Comfort him, make her crate a safe and inviting place and eventually she will come around.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

VTEnviro raises good points: Where is the crate that she's sleeping in? If it's downstairs and you're upstairs in bed, she may need nothing more but to be moved up w/you until she gets older and more secure. Often, that's enough, to smell you through the night, to hear you through the night. If she wakes and cries, you can try a brief touch and then roll over and go back to sleep.

As she gets older still, train the SETTLE command (See Our Best Advice). VERY valuable for moments like this, once you're certain she's not waking for a potty (or other legitimate) issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

snowlab-mn is offline Junior Member

Great advice... yeah she does have her own room the laundry room and it is on the main level as is my room. I will try having her in her create in my room and see if that helps. She does like her kennel as she travels in it and sleeps the whole time and does go in there when she is left to play in her room. So i will try putting her in my room tonight in the kennel. and the Settle command will come in handy... thank you... Keep the suggestions coming.