Hey, I got a question!
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, I got a question!

Scrolls01 Guest

DefaultHey, I got a question!

Hey, I have a question. Is there a way I can train Lucky to not poop on the sidewalk or any paved surface when we're on walks. The reason I asked is because we were at the coffee shop earlier, and he went on the sidewalk. Is there any way to train him not to do that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: Hey, I got a question!

Do you have a dog park or a vacant lot near you where you can run him first before you hit the sidewalks & the coffee shops?.

I have a really nice park along the river in my town where I walk my 2. There's a big undeveloped area next to it so as soon as I get mine out of the car, we head there first & I wont take them into the park until they've both done what they have to do. It didn't take them long to figure out what I was doing & now I have no problems with them.

If you don't have such an area, try walking him on his leash around your property until he does what he has to. Most dogs only poop once fortunately so it's a pretty easy way of solving the problem. :educated:

Scrolls01 Guest

Unfortunately, everywhere I take him, he has to be on the leash, due to city ordinances and all that, but when he's in the yard, I let him do his business off leash, but I may have to do it on leash, but I don't want it to be the point that wherever he is on leash, that he'll do his business anywhere. I know when the other people owned him and when he was at the shelter, everything was on leash til I got him, now it's off leash, but when we go for walks on leash, then he does it. I'm not sure if it would be easier to teach him on leash, so he's not doing it and do it in the yard, so he knows or what to do? It seems like doing it off leash isn't helping, so should I teach him only to go on grass or only in my yard on leash?

We also don't have dog parks here, so if I take him to the park, he has to be on leash. They have strict ordinances here, so it's hard, and it's not hard picking it up off the sidewalk, but when it's runny, it's harder yet without having to use a rag to wipe it up. Luckily, the coffee shop owners let me take one of their rags with me, so it wouldn't be a health hazard and all that, but I want to train him not to do that, but don't know how. When I had Sass, she didn't go while on walks, she went here before we did, so she knew. But I did that off leash with her, do I need to do the same thing on leash with him until he's used to it and knows what to do?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scrolls01 Guest

Yeah, I've only seen him do it once, but if we're on longer walks, he'll do it 2 or 3 times, but I know lately when we've gone to the coffee shop and all that and I'm only there for like 5 minutes, he'll do it right after we get there, then he's done, so maybe walking him around on the leash and showing him will fix the problem, and after a while, he'll know where to go and where not to.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Scrolls01
    so maybe walking him around on the leash and showing him will fix the problem, and after a while, he'll know where to go and where not to.
    That's what I'm hoping. I also forgot to mention, to reward him with a food treat EVERY TIME he goes. That way, he'll learn if he wants to be fed, this is what he has to do. (Hopefully). It's like any other type of training. It takes time, patience & a lot of kindness toward the dog.

I didn't realise we were talking about a rescue dog here. That might take a bit longer because you probably don't know much about his past so there might be issues you have to overcome on the way to training him to your way of thinking but I'm reasonably confident you'll get there.

My GSD who I adopted about 6 months ago, is 10 yo. She's one of the easiest dogs I've ever trained but I put that down to her doing 6 months at police dog academy when she was about 1 yo. She failed miserably & probably got expelled. She never got the hang of what it means to attack but her overall obedience can't be faltered. :educated:

Thanks for taking him in BTW.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

In some ways, it's easier to clean the poop off a hard impervious surface like that. The poop gets all stuck to the grass blades.

Scrolls01 Guest

Yeah, getting him from the shelter and all that, he has a lot of problems that I'm trying to correct but not having much luck at doing. I have told him no when he does it on the sidewalk, to no avail, and it's not working. All I do know from what the shelter told me, that the people who had him before never had time for him, so they took him to the shelter, and that's how he got there, but I also don't have experience with shelter dogs, so this is new to me. My other dog Sass was a border collie, but she came from a private owner, from the guy who owned her before, and she was a cinch to train. If I took her to the coffee shop and tied her up, I could be there for 15 minutes, she wouldn't poop one drop, but I also made her go potty in the yard and all that off leash before we left, and we could go for a 2 mile walk, she wouldn't go one bit on the whole walk, but with him, he goes anywhere, and I'm not sure how to break him of it. I guess this is where I'm having problems. He's also over excited, so to teach him something is hard, because his attention is real short, so to train him, it's hard unless he's on leash all the time. And a lot of the times he's off leash, so maybe that's where I'm having my problems.

I had someone watch him over the weekend, and she said this morning that because he's crated all the time, he's over excited, but I don't think it's that, I think it's because he's not on the leash when trained, so when we take him for walks and all that, he still pulls on the leash, and when I take him out of the crate in the morning, he jumps up and all that and won't settle down, and I think the whole off leash thing is getting to be a problem, especially when I've had him for 2 months, so maybe it's time to do everything on leash instead of off leash. That may also mean that when I take him out of the crate in the morning, he'll have to be on leash. Maybe this will solve the problems.

Scrolls01 Guest

I never had a problem til this morning. When I cleaned it off the sidewalk, it was runny, not hard. And that's where you have a problem leaving the residue on the sidewalk, with grass, it's no big deal, cuz I can take the affected grass when cleaning up, compared to sidewalk where I can't take the affected cement.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If his poops are runny, he may have some digestive disorder. You might take a sample to your vet for a check.

In general, dogs are very much creatures of habit. If he's become used to pooping on concrete at the shelter, that's what he'll seek out. If he's used to grass, ditto.

IF/WHEN he doesn't have some disorder affecting his pooping, if you can -- find out his natural, preferred times for pottying. As garthc said, exercise helps bring it on. Once you know his preferred times you can try slowly altering his rut to find a new one.

My Puff's natural times are at 6:30 - 7 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM. I take her outside and just a little bit of walking brings on the desired result, usually. We have a mantra that also helps; whenever I see her in her arched back, tail up position, anal sphincter expanding, I say "Puff, POTTY Puff, POTTY" Saying that helps load the colon when we haven't had production.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Scrolls01 Guest

It's hard to say when he does, cuz it's at different times, and it's usually not that runny like it was this morning, and it could've been because I picked it up with the bag instead of my hands, not sure, but I'm trying to get him to not do it uptown when we're stopped, PERIOD!!!!!!!! But I also have a feeling that if he does it here before we go, he'll do it uptown if we're stopped, so that won't solve the problem, the question is, what would solve the problem. I'm also thinking it's a leash problem. When we're here in the yard or in the house, he's off leash, so when he's on leash, he gets really wild, and it's hard for him to settle down, especially off leash, so I guess I don't know what to do and what to say at this point, except for keeping him on leash when he's not in the crate, hoping that settles him down and calms him down, I don't know. I'm new at this shelter dog thing, so I don't know what to do or anything else when he gets excited and all that.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast