Trusting the dog indoors

Thread: Trusting the dog indoors

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrusting the dog indoors

Rupert is 6 months old now and has gotten more and more trustworthy with time. We leave him uncrated in our room at night with a baby gate up at the door way. We've done this for a month now and he hasn't had any accidents.

We crate him while we are at work, but we are starting to leave him loose for short periods when we go out to run an errand or some other short task. It's fine when we leave him outside but the summer weather will soon be cooling off and we will need to leave him inside.

We have left him inside for up to an hour with no problems so far. What's the secret to bumping that time up? Just continuing to leave him longer and longer in short increments? He hasn't chewed or gone to the bathroom on anything so I think he can take more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Trusting the dog indoors

wow you're game!! Milly is almost 9 months old and we haven't given her unsupervised household access yet. She does sometimes sleep on the bed (when my partner or I are away from work so there is room in the bed!) and always behaves and stays there.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

Each dog is different. My 5 year old Rider got free reign of the house at 7 months. Never destroyed anything. My 20 month old Rookie, still is crated and probably will stay that way for a while. He's curious, get's bored easily and has ADD. He's destroyed two couch pillows while on a "trial" out of his crate. Nope. For his safety (both of swallowing something he shouldn't and me killing him for destroying stuff), he'll be crated for a while.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah Rupert is uncrated all night and has never caused a problem. He is even beginning to bark if he needs to go out midway through the night.

Recently I've begun to get much more lax with keeping an eye on him around the house. He generally just follows one of us into whatever room we are in. This has evolved to leaving him home alone when I run a short errand (gas up the car, get a loaf of bread, etc.)

Yesterday it was raining heavily so we couldn't leave him outside. So we just left him with his Kong stuffed with treats. When we got back 45 minutes later, he was sleeping quietly. I was proud of him, he's a good pup.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We have left him inside for up to an hour with no problems so far. What's the secret to bumping that time up? Just continuing to leave him longer and longer in short increments? He hasn't chewed or gone to the bathroom on anything so I think he can take more.
    A-yeh! (Vermontese for yes)

The other half of the secret is enough daily vigorous exercise so that he prefers sleeping to finding an activity to relieve boredom -- "A Tired Lab is a Good Lab"

Yesterday it was raining heavily so we couldn't leave him outside.
    I'd be afraid of leaving him alone outside -- because of potential theft, wandering off, hit by a car, etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

^ The back yard has a 7' tall fence with locked gates. I don't leave him out there all day. But on a nice day I'll leave him there while I run an errand or go out for a jog. Otherwise though, I tend to agree with you and leave him indoors.

And you are right about the tired lab-good lab line. He has never done anything blatantly destructive around the house other than dig in my flowerbeds occaisonally.

He's not old enough to take jogging yet but that will be nice when he is. I took him to the dog park for an hour and 15 minutes after work and actively frolicked. He was a sleepy pup after that.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VTEnviro
    ^ The back yard has a 7' tall fence with locked gates. I don't leave him out there all day. But on a nice day I'll leave him there while I run an errand or go out for a jog.
    You may never have an issue with this - but I had a dog poisoned by someone who tossed her poisoned meat over a fence. She recovered but at great cost. Not a chance I would take with a dog ever again. If you are in a suburban/urban situation and others can be impacted by your unsupervised dog barking, you risk having a neighbor come up with their own solution.
    Sharon

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The back yard has a 7' tall fence with locked gates. I don't leave him out there all day. But on a nice day I'll leave him there while I run an errand or go out for a jog.
    That MAY be fine but it may NOT be fine, too. If a Lab is outside and bored, it'll often find a way to get out -- either by digging underneath the fence to escape OR by climbing the fence. The only secure situation outside is a chainlink fence on a concrete slab with a chainlink ceiling.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I've been doing the same with Shelby, the longest i left her alone in the house was about 90 min, came home to shredded toilet paper all over the house.....forgot to close the bathroom door :embarrass:

amazongold is offline Senior Member

My two will be two and three years old next month, and they are still crated when left home alone. I am trying very short tests with leaving them out, but only after making sure there is no paper within reach, nothing edible, inedible, or chewable onthe counters and table, the trash is behind closed doors, and all bedroom and bathroom doors are closed. They are both counter-surfers, and at 26" at the shoulder, Champ can reach every nook and cranny if he decides to!

Some dogs never get full freedom when no humans are home, others are trustworthy from puppyhood. You have to know your dog and what its' limits (and temptations!) are.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy