Problems with everyone getting along

Thread: Problems with everyone getting along

Remi is offline Member

DefaultProblems with everyone getting along

I know this is a forum about dogs but I am hoping some of you Lab owners are also cat owners. We are having a serious problem with our two cats and Remi. Remi is absolutely wonderful with them, for the most part he ignores them and if he does get a little to playful when they're around he is easily redirected away from them. Our problem is with the cats, they're peeing on things!! :vomit:

Let me give you a little background. We rescued two kittens about three years ago when they were very young. At about a year old we had them fixed because they started spraying things, once that was taken care of we had no more problems with marking anything. We have since moved to a new house and even then they did not once try to mark anything. They've never urinated or pooped on anything in the house.

Now that Remi is in the house they are out of control. The other day they urinated on his little bed in the kitchen. I washed it twice with hot water and Nature's Miracle to get the smell out. Two days later they urinated either on or right next to his water bowl. I found it after getting on my hands and knees and sniffing the kitchen floor....quite a sight I imagine. I cleaned it up with Nature's Miracle, then washed the floor with regular floor cleaner then wiped everything down with cidar vinegar. Once everything was dry I put Remi's little bed back in the kitchen and thought all was fine. Well, today I came home from work to find that the cats had once again urinated on Remi's little bed and one of his toys. It's like they're out to get him!!!!

Has anyone ever dealt with this and have any helpful advice...I'm at my wits end cleaning up cat pee and scouting the house everyday to see if they've "attacked" anything else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Problems with everyone getting along

I´m sorry for your case. Cleaning cats messes is the most disgusting thing in the world. My cat has taken to pooping on the lawn and not covering it (just like a dog) and picking that up is 10 times worse than picking the dogs´.

Cats tend to do that all the time. My cat is an outside cat and I see that intruder cats come and poop and pee right where he sleeps. Its like they definitely do it on purspose to screw my poor (neutered and old) cat.

I have no advice except to get rid of the puppy bed because no matter what you clean it with the cats will keep doing their business in there. Besides I´m surprised your pup hasn´t destroyed it yet.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I assume that the cats are not doing this in front of you. If they do - squirt them with a water gun or spray bottle - that will stop that behavior quickly.

Since I am sure that they are much sneakier about this- put your dog's bed/dish/toys where the cats do not have access when you are not around.

They are clearly acting out and are not happy about his presence (even though you have had him for a while, right)? Has anything else changed in the household?
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Remi is offline Member

BigBrownDog,

No they don't do this in front of us, I almost wish they did so I knew which cat it was! Friday night we found that they had urinated in Remi's water bowl!!! I've resorted to picking everything up off the floor at night and when we're not home to keep them from doing this. When his bowls and mat are down I know have a garbage bag under them so that if they do pee it's contained on the bag and not seeping into my floors.

We've had these cats for 3 years now. They displayed this behavior when I first moved in with my boyfriend about 2 and a half years ago. They would urinate on my shoes, once they even urinated on my jacket after I had forgotten to put it in the closet. A few months after I moved in we had both cats neutered and have not had a problem since. I always assumed they had stopped urinating on my things because of being altered. Now I'm starting to wonder if it had nothing to do with that and more with that they were just accepting me living in their space. When we moved into our house almost a year ago we were afraid they would go to town urinating on everything to "lay claim" but they never did. Now that Remi is here though they have resorted back to their old ways.

I may have inadvertently caused the urinating in the water dish problem. The cats had always been fed in a certain area of our kitchen, they had their whole little set up along one wall. When we decided to adopt Remi we thought it would be better to give the cats an area of their own to eat in that the dog couldn't get to. Our thinking was we didn't want to have to worry about the dog going after the cats during meal time AND the cats have access to dry food at all times. I thought I was doing them a favor. When Remi came I put his water dish and food bowl where the cats' dishes had been. So I may have caused a turf war without even knowing it. But we've had Remi for almost a month now and this problem just started last week. Needless to say I moved Remi's water bowl to a different area in the kitchen but this hasn't resolved the conflict....they urniated on his mat yesterday.

Other than that absolutely nothing has changed. I'm at a loss....I just don't want to be known as the Stinky Cat House that no one ever wants to come to! I want everyone to get along!!! A friend told me that they had a very similiar problem when they introduced a puppy into their house, they ended up putting the cat on Prozac for a few months and now the cat and dog are best friends. I'm not really keen on drugging up my cats.

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

wow... I absolutely HATE cat pee. My cat pee'd in my truck when we moved (over a year ago) and it still smells. Im sorry I cant help you b/c Oscar and the cat LOVE each other. But Im not a fan of cat pee, and if it happened as often as you say its happened to you, I would no longer have a cat...

Also to BlackandYellow, thats funny that your cat DOESNT cover its waste, because my dog DOES
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Maybe try the feliway pheromene diffuser?