Get off my couch Pleeeaaaasssseee!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get off my couch Pleeeaaaasssseee!!!!!!

tphilli is offline Member

DefaultGet off my couch Pleeeaaaasssseee!!!!!!

Hunter CONSTANTLY jumps up on my couch. If you look at him sternly and say "No Hunter, DOWN." He wags his tail at you and I either trys to like or nip you, because he wants to play. If you Couple this with physically removing him (gently shoving him off) he thinks we're playing and comes right back for more. So scratch the shoving. Couple the command with stepping on his toes (not too hard, I don't want to hurt his little feet) He just continues to ignore me. I've counted taking him down from the couch a good dozen times in a row. My patience begins to wear a little thin by that point. What do I do? :ugly: He jumps on my couch after having eaten, peed, pooped, and played. There is nothing else he can possibly need is there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Get off my couch Pleeeaaaasssseee!!!!!!

Then crate him.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

ummm he's only 8 weeks old, of course he's not going to listen yet!! Sam still doesn't get the concept of "You're in trouble" he just wags his tail staring at you like "Smile mom!"
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Okay so if I try all of those and he still keeps jumping up I should put him in his crate for time out?

Garth is offline Registered Users

Get used to it. As Brandie said, he's only 8 weeks old. You can't expect a miracle cure from such a young dog. I suggest if you're concerned about your couch getting dirty, you cover it with an old sheet. If you look at some of my posts, you'll see my dogs have a life long history of being on the furniture. I don't care. My dogs happiness is more important. If the couch gets dirty, it gets shampooed. If the bedding gets dirty, it goes in the wash.

Wait until he's fully grown, weighs 35kg & sleeps on top of you like my boy used to.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

IS he jumpin on the couch when you are ON it or when NO ONE is on it?

I'm wondering if he is just wanting attention, and since the humans are on the couch, he goes up with your.

So I'd say:
    - be very patient, he's a baby
    - if he jumps up, gently place him on the gound
    - spend more time on the ground with him, give him LOTS of attention
    - make sure he gets enough exercise (ok this is a puppy so he doesn't need much, but just be sure to get those puppy crazies out)
    - NEVER EVER have any family member take him on the couch if you intend to keep him off
    - if he's being a brat, put him in the crate for a few minutes.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

It is true that he only jumps up on the couch when we are on it or if he can reach one of the cats.

BUT

I sit on the ground with him A LOT. My butt hurts. :ugly: I play with him ALL day long. We wrestle and play tug war and fetch the duck (he fetches stuff already! but I make sure he doesn't jump) we play these games over and over and when I take a break he just won't take "No" for an answer. I give him a bone, he chews it for 5secs and comes back up, same with every toy.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Ok - so we can be pretty sure he's just trying to be with you (or get the cat as the case may be).

It'll take time and consistency. As long as you spend some time on the ground with him, you ARE allowed time to yourself on teh couch like a human And you are also allowed to not want dogs on the couch. So just be patient and consistent. If he jumps up put him down on the ground and ignore him (or give him a toy). If he isn't giving up (keeps jumping up no matter what) give him a time out in the crate.

This will likely take some time for him to learn. It'll help if you direct him to a toy he likes or something as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Okie Doke. I shall keep it up And hopefully he will eventually come around.

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    Get used to it. As Brandie said, he's only 8 weeks old. You can't expect a miracle cure from such a young dog. I suggest if you're concerned about your couch getting dirty, you cover it with an old sheet. If you look at some of my posts, you'll see my dogs have a life long history of being on the furniture. I don't care. My dogs happiness is more important. If the couch gets dirty, it gets shampooed. If the bedding gets dirty, it goes in the wash.

Wait until he's fully grown, weighs 35kg & sleeps on top of you like my boy used to.
    Garth!

I don't know the conversion and I'm too tired to figure it out but I had three on my legs!! Happy at 102lbs, Lucky at 86lbs and Sam at 30lbs. I can't imagine why my legs/back were hurting!

Thankfully Lucky has stuck herself to Phoenix all of a sudden and he demands Happy sleep with him and Lucky and Sam has proven himself to be a poophead at night still so he's back in crate detail I have my legs and bed back.....except when PHoenix is sick like he has been then it's EVERYONE in ONE BED :canadian:
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast