Baby Bug Eater

Thread: Baby Bug Eater

Tannersmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultBaby Bug Eater

My 10 week old lab loves to eat bugs. For some reason there are a lot of crickets in my yard right now and he just scoffs them up before I can stop him. I think I've heard that crickets have lots of protein and are eaten by humans in some cultures? Or is it grasshoppers? Dogs eat the craziest things! I hope he doesn't get sick. Should I be training him not to eat bugs? I don't see my vet for a couple of weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dave121 is offline Member

DefaultRe: Baby Bug Eater

Quote Originally Posted by Tannersmom
    My 10 week old lab loves to eat bugs. For some reason there are a lot of crickets in my yard right now and he just scoffs them up before I can stop him. I think I've heard that crickets have lots of protein and are eaten by humans in some cultures? Or is it grasshoppers? Dogs eat the craziest things! I hope he doesn't get sick. Should I be training him not to eat bugs? I don't see my vet for a couple of weeks.
    I cannot offer any advice because I am new to this dog ownership thing. But, my pup is 10 months and does the same. He loves to eat moths and crickets etc. He has not got sick yet.

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

As long as it's not giving him problems ie throwing up, BM issues, I'd let him scarf away.

When Corona does it (he has in the last two days devoured a cicada and, yes, a wasp! - Thankfully I'd already stomped on it, otherwise I'd be a bit concerned he'd get stung inside! - but normally I just go "Yum, extra protein!" and shake my head in bemusement. Lol

Dogs are meant to eat raw so it's entirely natural and shouldn't hurt a thing. Except the poor crickets. I like crickets.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Rupert is not much of a bug eater (he prefers cat turds) but we've had dogs in the past who have chomped on bugs. Never seemed to cause any problems.

We discouraged it but didn't go out of our way to dislodge anything from the dog's mouth.