Training Book/Video Recomendation

Thread: Training Book/Video Recomendation

Kilo&Piper is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraining Book/Video Recomendation

I'm getting a new lab puppy next month and was wondering what retrieving training books or videos you all recommend? Of course, I will not be starting a diciplined retriever training with him until he is about 6 months old and he has the basic commands down pretty good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training Book/Video Recomendation

I wouldn't wait until 6 months -- I'd begin before that, a few trials at a time but keeping it fun.

For general training, I like Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" Also, Ian Dunbar has a video for puppy training and I think Patricia McConnell has one, too -- check her website < www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com >

Also you might ask on JL's sub-board, Hunting/Field Trials:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php?board=11.0
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

If you want to train for gundog/retrieving, go RIGHT NOW and get Jackie Merten's puppy DVD "Sound Beginnings." The next thing you need to pick up is the 2 DVD set "Basics" from Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock. It has a lot of bang for the $40.00.

Then, look at Mike Lardy's "Total Retriever Marking/Total Retriever Training" or Evan Graham's "Smartworks" series of books/DVD's. Graham just released a puppy DVD, but I have not seen it yet. Mike Lardy's material is considered the Bible for HT/FT's. All of the above are Rex Carr based, they just do things in different orders sometimes. If you are serious, you will end up with all of them anyway. Check the classifieds at www.retrievertraining.net or on ebay for deals on "pre-owned" versions.

Good Luck!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TN_LAB is offline Member

Gun Dog based on Wolter's book.

Most folks would agree that retrieving is just an extension of obedience. I've also heard good things about Mike Lardy & Richard Milton as well as Jim & Phyllis Dobbs and Alice Woodyard. You can Google these names and find good info on their articles and teachings.